Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
I'm doing an exercise, I have 14 phrasal verbs, and, I'm not sure about some sentences.
The phrasal verbs are: back out, break down, change down, cut in, cut out, draw up, drive off, hold something up, pull out, pull up, run into something, slow down, speed up, turn off, please use CTRL+F

And the sentences:

1)The car _____________ of the driveway and nearly rain into a truck.
Is it "drove off"? I've already used it like 4 times in this exercise, and "drove off of" doesn't look quite good. Pull out?

2)The police office _______ alongside and ordered us to ________.
Ok, the second is probably "pull out" or "pull up", but what about the first? Cut in? Isn't that about overtaking?

3)There's John's house. We need to______as close as possible to his house.
Isn't it "draw up"?

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm doing an exercise, I have 14 phrasal verbs, and, I'm not sure about some sentences.
The phrasal verbs are: back out, break down, change down, cut in, cut out, draw up, drive off, hold something up, pull out, pull up, run into something, slow down, speed up, turn off, please use CTRL+F

And the sentences:

1)The car _____________ of the driveway and nearly ran into a truck.
Is it "drove off"? I've already used it like 4 times in this exercise, and "drove off of" doesn't look quite good. Pull out?

2)The police office _______ alongside and ordered us to ________.
Ok, the second is probably "pull out" or "pull up", but what about the first? Cut in? Isn't that about overtaking? Yes it is - well, you have to overtake someone before you can cut in.

3)There's John's house. We need to______as close as possible to his house.
Isn't it "draw up"? Could be.

Thanks.
Note, we don't [STRIKE]normally[/STRIKE] do homework here; but you seem to have thought about it and given your thoughts:
1. Yes "pull out" would work. "Back out" might be better though, for a reason which appears obvious to me.
2. DId you consider, "Draw up"
3. Lots of selection here. Choose one you like. But "draw up" is better for 2. because "draw up alongside something" is a common collocation.

flocosix

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
Note, we don't [STRIKE]normally[/STRIKE] do homework here; but you seem to have thought about it and given your thoughts:

Thanks, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.