Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Before I pick a job and cross an ocean, is there a good way to connect with people that are already working/living there? Is that generally just done with blogs like this one?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends on the country- many countries have expat forums, blogs and sites that can help with the specific issues involved in moving to and living in a country. Where are you thinking about going?

chasinglory

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm actually not sure yet on the location. I was more just wondering if there was a generally used medium for people to meet eachother (may it be blogs, facebook, or something else). Just wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed something.

billod

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
North Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm actually not sure yet on the location. I was more just wondering if there was a generally used medium for people to meet eachother (may it be blogs, facebook, or something else). Just wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed something.

there should be of course, but it is hard to connect. i mean, I'm Korean and i met few foreginers who are living in here. But none of them actually know about sites you want.

And if you want to teach in other contry i suggest to make a native friend ,as a student or the person who live in korea,i know it is always better to make a 'native friend'.

chasinglory

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I figured that it would help to have local connections. Does the expat group not use Facebook or LinkedIn?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, they do.

lip420

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd figure out where you want to go first and then people can help point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.