English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi
i would like to know the meaning of the following idioms:

1- not know enough to come in out of the rain
When a person stands outside in the rain, he gets wet. It is usually a normal reaction to seek shelter (go inside) once it starts raining. When a person "doesn't know enough to come in out of the rain", it is implying that he has no common sense.
Ex: "You loaned your brand new car to Jack?! Are you crazy? Jack doesn't know enough to come in out of the rain! You'll be lucky to get your car back in one piece."

-fall apart
More context is needed.

3- be off base
This idiom originates in the game of baseball, where a player must be on base in order to be safe. In colloquial AmE, if someone is "off base", he is misunderstanding or misinterpreting a situation, or he is just plain incorrect.
Ex: "You are way off base if you think I had any romantic intentions when I kissed you on the cheek. It was just a gesture of friendship."

4- elbow one's way in
To physically force ones way into a place or situation. Literally it means to push ones way through a throng by using ones elbows in order to make space.
Ex: "We were all waiting patiently in front of the gate, waiting for Disney World to open, when this obnoxious woman elbowed her way in front of us, determined to be the first person admitted."

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
thank u so much for ur reply.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.