Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 307
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Blow a hole in the bow

    What is the meaning of the expression in bold? Could it be used allegorically? Thanks!

    "The ship almost sank in a Cyprus port when a mysterious explosion blew a hole in the bow, seriously damaging it."

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Blow a hole in the bow

    Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    What is the meaning of the expression in bold? Could it be used allegorically? Thanks!

    "The ship almost sank in a Cyprus port when a mysterious explosion blew a hole in the bow, seriously damaging it."
    It depends. Was the explosion allegorical? (Do you mean metaphorical?)
    I think it far more likely that the sentence is referring to a real explosion that caused a real hole with real damage. Is there any context that would suggest that the sentence is not meant literally?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 307
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Blow a hole in the bow

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It depends. Was the explosion allegorical? (Do you mean metaphorical?)
    I think it far more likely that the sentence is referring to a real explosion that caused a real hole with real damage. Is there any context that would suggest that the sentence is not meant literally?
    I have no problem to understand the expression in this context. My question is if the expression has a metaphorical meaning as well. One of the dictionaries suggests:

    blow a hole in[v. show that someone is not true, show that a person is not right

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Blow a hole in the bow

    Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    I have no problem to understand the expression in this context. My question is if the expression has a metaphorical meaning as well. One of the dictionaries suggests:

    blow a hole in[v. show that someone is not true, show that a person is not right
    I see. Yes, you can "blow a hole" in my argument, by coming up with a demonstrable and devastating proof against the position I take.
    But you have 'bow' bolded too in the original. I haven't heard of someone blowing a hole in the bow of something abstract.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,567
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Blow a hole in the bow

    If there is a reference to the bow of ship, to an explosion that created a hole in that bow, to serious damage, and to almost sinking, I don't see anything metaphorical.

    Do you know that the "bow" is the front of a ship?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 307
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Blow a hole in the bow

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    If there is a reference to the bow of ship, to an explosion that created a hole in that bow, to serious damage, and to almost sinking, I don't see anything metaphorical.

    Do you know that the "bow" is the front of a ship?
    I know. I just wanted, by the way, to understand the metaphorical meaning of the expression: "to blow a hole" . Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. bow
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2011, 04:28
  2. locker, cubby hole, pigeon hole
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-May-2011, 13:50
  3. [General] blow flush in the face / blow flush on the chin
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2008, 22:06
  4. Take a bow
    By peret3 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-May-2008, 15:26
  5. Bow on
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 00:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •