Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Her disdain for convention once scandalised society when she lived in a menage-a-trois with two men who were the best of friends.
Read more: Ayton Castle in Berwickshire hit by tragedy of George de la Rue's death | Mail Online

Hello!

1. I wonder how to pronounce menage-a-trois, which is a word from French. I think "s" is mute in trois as it is mute in trois in French, but I don't know especially how to pronounce "menage" here.

2. Do most native speakers know this word?

Thank you!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
2 Probably- it's a common term

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
2 Probably- it's a common term
Yes indeed. It's hard to talk about social life without using French borrowings: 'I was having a tête-à-tête with a friend (whose dress was to die for [this phrase looks English enough, but it's a word-for-word translation of à-en-mourir - meaning 'extremely attractive'] when we had a bit of a contretemps.'

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She must have a certain je-ne-sais-pas to attract two such influential men!

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
Read more: Ayton Castle in Berwickshire hit by tragedy of George de la Rue's death | Mail Online

Hello!

1. I wonder how to pronounce menage-a-trois, which is a word from French. I think "s" is mute in trois as it is mute in trois in French, but I don't know especially how to pronounce "menage" here.

2. Do most native speakers know this word?

Thank you!

debris is a french word; in this word, 's' is not pronounced in English
menage is like garage, barrage, etc.
'oi' sound in trois is like that in 'repertoire' and 'reservoir'

There is a nice book let "French phonics for Americans" by Giauque, Gerald S. This booklet uses many words that are common in French and English to get a grip on French patterns.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dang. I meant "je ne sais quois." Oh well.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
menage is like garage, barrage, etc.
That depends a lot on how you say 'garage' - and I'm not simply referring to those who stress the first syllable (rhyming 'garage' with 'disparage')
I use 'dzh' /ʤ/ for 'garage, and would use 'zh' /ʒ/ for 'menage' (if I ever had call to say it).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dang. I meant "je ne sais quoi." Oh well.

It's OK - 'a certain je ne sais pas' is one of the misquotes that a famous British comic comes out with - I thought you were quoting him knowingly. ;-)

b

PS To spare your blushes I lost the errant 's' ;-) - For the record, students, it's 'Quoi', pronounced (in English phonemic script, /kwʌ/)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That depends a lot on how you say 'garage' - and I'm not simply referring to those who stress the first syllable (rhyming 'garage' with 'disparage')
I use 'dzh' /ʤ/ for 'garage, and would use 'zh' /ʒ/ for 'menage' (if I ever had call to say it).

Yes - raindoctor was talking about the commonest Am Eng pronunciation. This underlines the general problem of 'sounds like....' descriptions of pronunciation, especially in a polyglot forum like this.

b

PS Autobiobraphical note: Having a Lancashire-born father, a Scottish-born mother raised in Wales and living in England, and 20 years experience working in an American company, I use all three of the pronunciations you describe. ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.