English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, everyone,
here's an extract from a handout made for students who are trained to be teachers of English in Russia (the whole text is about a trainee teacher who is scared to teach her first lesson at school). I need to know the opinion of native speakers about it:
-does it sound natural?
-if not (which I suspect) could you make some corrections so that it would sound more natural?
-what does the phrase in bold mean?

Nastya tried to comfort her by saying: “You shouldn’t try to teach them anything, not just yet, anyhow. Just keep them quiet. That’ll do.”
“Now that’s the thing I’ve never learnt to do.” sighed Ann. “And then according to the curriculum I am supposed to teach them the Present Perfect Tense.”
“Now don’t explain anything,” suggested Dima. “Don’t compare it with the Russian completed aspect or anything! Just pretend you’re doing things and then show you’ve done them, finished with them: I am opening the book, I’ve opened the book, I am closing the book, I’ve closed the book. Just the way you did it for us in the first-year course, you remember? You’re a born teacher, Ann, don’t be scared.”
Ann revolved to follow the suggested line, though she was afraid her supervisor would not approve.
:?:

Thank you in advance

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm guessing that "revolved" was a typographical error and that it should have said "resolved", which would make more sense in the context given.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
could you make some corrections so that it would sound more natural?

Ann revolved to follow the suggested line, though she was afraid her supervisor would not approve.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) In my opinion, I do not think that "Ann resolved to follow the suggested line" is

very natural. (I think that "line" is usually reserved for politics: "Don't pay attention to him, for he is just following the party line.")

(2) I most respectfully suggest something like:

Ann decided to take her colleagues' advice./ Ann decided to take Nastya's and

Dima's suggestions.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, everyone,
here's an extract from a handout made for students who are trained to be teachers of English in Russia (the whole text is about a trainee teacher who is scared to teach her first lesson at school). I need to know the opinion of native speakers about it:
-does it sound natural?
-if not (which I suspect) could you make some corrections so that it would sound more natural?
-what does the phrase in bold mean?

Nastya tried to comfort her by saying: “You shouldn’t try to teach them anything, not just yet, anyhow. Just keep them quiet. That’ll do.”
“Now that’s the thing I’ve never learnt to do.” sighed Ann. “And then according to the curriculum I am supposed to teach them the Present Perfect Tense.”
“Now don’t explain anything,” suggested Dima. “Don’t compare it with the Russian completed aspect or anything! Just pretend you’re doing things and then show you’ve done them, finished with them: I am opening the book, I’ve opened the book, I am closing the book, I’ve closed the book. Just the way you did it for us in the first-year course, you remember? You’re a born teacher, Ann, don’t be scared.”
:?:

Thank you in advance
You don't need the comma between "just yet" and "anyhow".

Status
Not open for further replies.