Native Language
Korean
Home Country
North Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello every body, it's nice to talk here

I want to ask some sily qustion.
This days i feel like i'm not a someone who can teach english!

I'm university student of Korea, and i teach high school students about how can understand context or read English, but frankly speaking, i can't speak english very well, even i can't write english very well, one thing i can proud about is that i can read and understand english.

Yes, i'm not a someone who really can teach english to students
But since i start to teach, i want to finish it, and honestly, i'm proud about the wat to approch in english i studied

Shortly, i want to be a real english user, but in here, Korea, there is no way to meet native speaker or meet the person who can 'use' english. i mean, there is no opportunity to use english! , i realy want to meet people and talk in english
Anyone know how can i improve my english? or my confidence in english?

catalian

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
Hi Bollod,
As you probably know, there are thousands of people around the world who teach English without having a very good level themselves. Although this is not the ideal situation it is the reality. It's probable that you also learnt English from a non-native speaker but you can get better, much better :-D. This will also help your students to learn English well.
Both you and your students need to have regular contact with a "good" model of the English language. A baby needs as much as 3,000 hours contact with its own language before it can speak it! It then needs quite a few more years before it can speak it well, and then even more time before it can read and write in its own language.
What does this mean? That you have to programme regular time for reading and listening to English. It's much better to listen to a short dialogue 3 or 4 times than to watch a complete film in English just once. You should also encourage your students to do the same. Good luck :)

billod

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
North Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi Bollod,
As you probably know, there are thousands of people around the world who teach English without having a very good level themselves. Although this is not the ideal situation it is the reality. It's probable that you also learnt English from a non-native speaker but you can get better, much better :-D. This will also help your students to learn English well.

Thanks, it's kind of you to say that. i mean, really, recent days, i thought it's wrong to teach students about 'reading' it, since it's a tool to communication. Yes, as i know what is the problem, maybe , i can do what i have to:lol:

jahildebrandt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You may be able to find some people to communicate with through forums (like this one,) chatrooms, or Skype.

I know there is a big boom in East Asian countries learning English and there are many native English speakers who use webcams to communicate with non-native speakers overseas as conversation partners. Some people offer private lessons through Skype. I'm sure there are people willing to do it for free or in exchange for Korean lessons though.

lip420

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Confidence comes with practice. Make friends with foreigners. Go where they go. Travel/live abroad if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.