Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essay on Robert Burns

How about getting started and taking it from there?

Post Thanks / Like

Essay on Robert Burns

I am dong a distance learning course at A level equivalent in an UK school. Part of the course asks us to write an essay on any genre we wish and choose a suitable text. The essay is to be between 1200 to 1800 words. I am going to write an essay on the great Scottish Poetry of Robert Burns. I want to write the essay mainly refering to his humour in a poem. But the question I have is, would I have to choose more than one poem to do a 1200 to 1800 word essay or would a long poem such as Tam o Shanter be suffice. I am a mature student and have never written a critical essay in my life, any feedback would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Essay on Robert Burns

Two Step, is this reply supposed to be helpful? Your reply and the term "Useful as a chocolate teapot" spring to mind. As you obviously had no input to add to my question I would have preferred you had not answered rather than leave such a patronising message.

PS I have recieved help from a teacher of English who gave some excellent advice, so thanks for nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I cannot access your orignal post so I cannot explain my answer to you.

Post Thanks / Like

The question was

"I am dong a distance learning course at A level equivalent in an UK school. Part of the course asks us to write an essay on any genre we wish and choose a suitable text. The essay is to be between 1200 to 1800 words. I am going to write an essay on the great Scottish Poetry of Robert Burns. I want to write the essay mainly refering to his humour in a poem. But the question I have is, would I have to choose more than one poem to do a 1200 to 1800 word essay or would a long poem such as Tam o Shanter be suffice. I am a mature student and have never written a critical essay in my life, any feedback would be appreciated."

However I notice your initial reply is dated 17th Oct to my question which is dated 18th Oct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    The question was

"I am dong a distance learning course at A level equivalent in an UK school. Part of the course asks us to write an essay on any genre we wish and choose a suitable text. The essay is to be between 1200 to 1800 words. I am going to write an essay on the great Scottish Poetry of Robert Burns. I want to write the essay mainly refering to his humour in a poem. But the question I have is, would I have to choose more than one poem to do a 1200 to 1800 word essay or would a long poem such as Tam o Shanter be suffice. I am a mature student and have never written a critical essay in my life, any feedback would be appreciated."

However I notice your initial reply is dated 17th Oct to my question which is dated 18th Oct.
    The dates may be based on local time/date.
    Looking at your question I stick to my answer. How can you determine up front how many words you will end up with in an essay? It

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    The question was

The dates may be based on local time/date.
    Looking at your question I stick to my answer. How can you determine up front how many words you will end up with in an essay? It is too short - fluff it up. It is too long - get back to the basics.