[Grammar] Present continuous or Future Simple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marin123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Correct if I’m mistaken in the choice of prepositions, please:
[FONT=&quot]Our machines are in great demand at this price.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is it convenient for you to have talks with them?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*****[/FONT]
Correct if I’m mistaken in the choice of [FONT=&quot]Present Continuous[/FONT][FONT=&quot] or Future Simple[/FONT], please[FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am not coming to the plant tomorrow.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I think Tina will go on business to Italy next week..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Will[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you have talks the day after tomorrow?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maybe, I shall stay at home next Sunday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The representatives of Simpson and Co. are not arriving tonight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think you will sign the contract next Friday?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Who is leaving for London this afternoon?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]When are you meeting Mr. Bell?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) [/FONT][FONT=&quot] He is not working today.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am sure their manager is coming to our office tomorrow.[/FONT]

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Correct if I’m mistaken in the choice of prepositions, please:
[FONT=&quot]Our machines are in great demand at this price.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is it convenient for you to have talks with them?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*****[/FONT]
Correct if I’m mistaken in the choice of [FONT=&quot]Present Continuous[/FONT][FONT=&quot] or Future Simple[/FONT], please[FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am not coming to the plant tomorrow.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I think Tina will go on business to Italy next week..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Will[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you have talks the day after tomorrow?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maybe, I shall stay at home next Sunday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The representatives of Simpson and Co. are not arriving tonight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think you will sign the contract next Friday?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Who is leaving for London this afternoon?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]When are you meeting Mr. Bell?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) [/FONT][FONT=&quot] He is not working today.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am sure their manager is coming to our office tomorrow.[/FONT]

1-2 correct
3 also "going to" is possible: Are you going to have talks the day after tomorrow?
4 "will" is more used in this sense.
5-6 correct
7 also "going to" is possible: Who's going to leave for London...?
8 also "will" is possible in this sentence, I think.
9-10 correct

Not a teacher.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have looked at only the first two:
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am not coming to the plant tomorrow.[/FONT] Also: I won't be coming, I'm not going to come, I won't come.
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I think Tina will go on business to Italy next week..[/FONT]Also: goes, is going, will be going, is going to go.

The problem with this sort of exercise, is that there is rarely one absolutely and exclusively correct form. All the alternatives I have given you are perfectly acceptable in these sentences. Some people don't like the two I have coloured blue, but they are fine.

Last edited:

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have looked at only the first two:
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am not coming to the plant tomorrow.[/FONT] Also: I won't be coming, I'm not going to come, I won't come.
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I think Tina will go on business to Italy next week..[/FONT]Also: goes, is going, will be going, is going to go.

The problem with this sort of exercise, is that there is rarely one absolutely and exclusively correct form. All the alternatives I have given you are perfectly acceptable in these sentences. Some people don't like the two I have coloured blue, but they are fine.

I think it depends on what he wants to mean...on the basis of what he means, he can choose the most correct and suitable form of future tense.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think it depends on what he wants to mean...on the basis of what he means, he can choose the most correct and suitable form of future tense.
There are situations in which the difference between the meanings of two or more forms is so slight as to be non-existent.

In #3, for example, ([FONT=&quot]...... [/FONT][FONT=&quot]you .... talks the day after tomorrow?)[/FONT] are you having suggests that the question is about a present arrangement for the future meeting; are you going to have suggests that the question is about present evidence of the existence of a future meeting (such as, for example, an arrangement).

For this particular situation, there is no practical difference in meaning between the two forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.