Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool To be or to being

    I have a doubt about how to write "to be" in the following sentence:

    Three movie showings to be (or to being) broadcast in next two months

    Thanks for your help

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To be or to being

    Well, it's not a complete sentence, so that's not an easy question to answer. As a headline, 'to be' is possible, though the subject is more likely to be just 'two movies'. Movie showings are not normally broadcast.

  3. #3
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To be or to being

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I have a doubt about how to write "to be" in the following sentence:

    Three movie showings to be (or to being) broadcast in next two months

    Thanks for your help
    "to be", "will be" or "are being" ("are being" with a time reference as in your example) and "....in the next two...."
    Last edited by billmcd; 09-Nov-2011 at 17:20. Reason: the article "the"

  4. #4
    Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: To be or to being

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Well, it's not a complete sentence, so that's not an easy question to answer. As a headline, 'to be' is possible, though the subject is more likely to be just 'two movies'. Movie showings are not normally broadcast.
    It's a part of a contract clause. Showings is for every time the movie is broadcast through a TV channel. In this clause, the movies are only allowed to be broadcast three times.

    Hope this help. Thank You

  5. #5
    Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: To be or to being

    Please, some more help according to this last addition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    It's a part of a contract clause. Showings is for every time the movie is broadcast through a TV channel. In this clause, the movies are only allowed to be broadcast three times.

    Hope this help. Thank You

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To be or to being

    If it's a contract, run it past a lawyer to check first. However, I would say something like Each movie can be broadcast up to a total of three times over the two months after the date of this contract. The sentence you have is too vague to me for a contract- you have to specify the period, that it is not three times a month for two months, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •