Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I am not confident of the first sentence in the 2nd paragraph. I just don't think "the complexity and creativity have become greater" is accurate. What's the best way to tackle it? Any help is appreciated.

... These investments are complemented by the individuals or businesses that incur the costs of owning and operating the cars or trucks on the roads.

As resources have become scarcer and needs have become greater, the complexity and creativity harnessed to fund transportation have become greater. Pursuing partnerships, leveraging private sector participation, making development pay for itself, using various debt instruments, and taking advantage of diverse government funds at all levels are part of the complex mix of project funding. Transportation infrastructure cost increases in the 2000-2007 period far outpaced revenue growth. Subsequently, construction costs declined with the economic recession but revenue streams also declined dramatically. Thus, significant challenges for transportation funding have persisted.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Grown/increased?

zhonglu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Thank you, Tdol! After some discussion with my co-worker, I have changed the sentence to "As resources have become scarcer and needs have grown, funding for transportation has become more complex and challenging." This is a good site. Keep up the good work!

- MZ

Status
Not open for further replies.