Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
In the sentence below, should the bolded words ('as') left out or not? I am tempted to leave it out, but I'm not sure.

The author considers contemporary fiction “which shows the characters in contexts that accurately reflect the culture of the English-speaking world today” and folk stories which “mirror the prevailing cultural values and traditions of a people, and avoids stories that portray outdated customs and beliefs” as good choices for using in the language classroom.

Thank you.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
In or out, I don't think it makes much difference, Batmura.
It's really a question of style. I might be inclined to leave out "as", like you.
I'm more concerned, however, with "using" later on in the ending. Is it using or use?

John

batmura

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you. I do think it should have been 'use' -- thank you. Based on your reply, I believe both 'consider' and 'consider as' are grammatically correct. For whatever reason, I am inclined to leave out 'as', but I have no grammatical explanation for it.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the sentence below, should the bolded words ('as') left out or not? I am tempted to leave it out, but I'm not sure.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) As as is my second favorite word (after really), may I add my two cents' worth?

(2) I would definitely leave it in.

(a) That sentence is very long; it also has two long phrases in quotation marks. By the

time that a reader gets to the end, s/he may let the word "beliefs" collide with the

word "good." That little rascal "as" makes clear that the following words refer to

"contemporary fiction" and "folk stories."

(3) As the teacher told us, what is more important is the issue of "use" vs. "using."

Along with you, I shall be eagerly waiting for the teachers to address this issue.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Parser's correct.
Leave "as" in this sentence for exactly the reasons he gave. `

John