what is the difference between CAH and CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi,
I'm little confused about these two words"contrastive analysis hypothesis and contrastive analysis"what I've been taught is that; the common difference between them is'the first one I mean CAH is a theoritical however the other is practical:?:!!!!!but unfortunately, the image is not clear enough to me!!!I think I need a help here!!!!!!:-(

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know what 'contrastive analysis' is, but I don't think that disqualifies me from answering - as I have a fair idea of what a hypothesis is.

If you are discussing a theory, you will need to refer to the hypothesis.

In practice, you don't need to. If you decide to use contrastive analysis - or any other system - you can just do it.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The hypothesis, which is that areas where the target language are similar to the learner's first language will be easier to learn, was the basis for the analyses made, where languages were compared systematically. It is the theory underlying the application.

It was a fashionable theory in the past, but I haven't heard the term used for years.

Hillin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
"If you are discussing a theory, you will need to refer to the hypothesis.

In practice, you don't need to. If you decide to use contrastive analysis - or any other system - you can just do it."
thank you"Bobk",for answering my Question.yeah I think this is the difference btw a "theory and practice or application"By the way,CAH is a "theory"which tried to study pair of language inorder to discover the difference between them.

Hillin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
The hypothesis, which is that areas where the target language are similar to the learner's first language will be easier to learn, was the basis for the analyses made, where languages were compared systematically.

It was a fashionable theory in the past, but I haven't heard the term used for years.
Thank you "Tdol",yeah since you were absolutly right about what you said above"CAH definition",I think you have a good memory:)really I'm thankful for the clarification.I liked most the last sentence coz really it helped me to understand more the difference"It is the theory underlying the application. "sorry I mean before the last sentence:)^^

Status
Not open for further replies.