Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
:) Hello,
Can you please tell me if my sentence is grammatically correct or need to be corrected? I will be really thankful.

For both TFLSP and TGFL, it is essential to understand the necessities of the learners and their professions for the purpose of making them motivated and ready to accommodate what they have learnt in the real life

Albert0

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whew! To take an easy approach, I will start with some easy things:
  • A sentence must end with a period (.).
  • The word, "the" in the "the real life" appears to be improper. In English the definite article (the) is used to indicate thet the following noun refers to a specific instance that is known to the audience or to virtually every instance. (For example, if I say, "the cat is a clever hunter," it would imply that either some particular cat that you and I are discussing is clever, or it would mean that among all things, anything that is a cat is clever.)
  • In American English, the present perfect form of to learn would be "have learned" rather than "have learnt." I believe that learnt may still be used in parts of the United Kingdom, but it is not used in the United States -- so it may or may not be correct for your usage.
  • I think the sentence might be clearer if you replace the word "necessities" with the word "needs."
Now, for the less easy part -- your sentence structure looks like it may be technically correct, but it may be hard for most people to interpret correctly. The sentence is long and uses compounds in a lot of places. It would communicate much better if it were broken into more than one sentence.

One other item: the beginning of the sentence is structured very well if you want to emphasize that the both TFLSP and TGFL areeffected by what you describe. But if the main point the importance of understanding learners' needs, then the structure would be improved by moving tht to the beginning of the sentence, simply reversing the otrder of the first prepositional phrases.

I hope thast helps...

yousrati

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Thank you Sir, for your explanation. I will certainly take it into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.