Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. vectra's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Jun 2005
    • Posts: 278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    implement vs introduce

    Hello,

    These are the lines from one of my students' home assignments in which she commented on the article http://http://tweentribune.com/conte...rt-guess-where:
    'Well, to my mind it's a great idea, the only drawback being a danger of injuring yourself. In general I always approve of new kinds of sport being implemented into a timetable. It's definitely more useful then just to be coach potatoes as a lot of students have got used to.'
    I can't agree that 'implement' is the best choice, speaking about the student's comments.
    She might have tried to use the word after reading this sentence from the article:
    'The state Department of Education is working with the new appointed Board of Education on developing a plan to implement surfing.'

    I would change the sentence into:
    'In general I always approve of new kinds of sports being introduced into a curriculum.'

    What do you think about it?

    Thank you for the time and help.
    Last edited by vectra; 14-Nov-2011 at 11:15. Reason: typo

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: implement vs introduce

    Quote Originally Posted by vectra View Post
    Hello,

    These are the lines from one of my students' home assignments in which she commented on the article http://http://tweentribune.com/conte...rt-guess-where:
    'Well, to my mind it's a great idea, the only drawback being a danger of injuring yourself. In general I always approve of new kinds of sport being implemented into a timetable. It's definitely more useful then just to be coach potatoes as a lot of students have got used to.'
    I can't agree that 'implement' is the best choice, speaking about the student's comments.
    She might have tried to use the word after reading this sentence from the article:
    'The state Department of Education is working with the new appointed Board of Education on developing a plan to implement surfing.'

    I would change the sentence into:
    'In general I always approve of new kinds of sports being introduced into a curriculum.'

    What do you think about it?

    Thank you for the time and help.
    I agree with you that "introduce" would be better. Will you be pointing out that "In general, I always approve..." is somewhat contradictory? Is it "In general, I approve ..." or "I always approve ..."? It can't be both.

    I'm a little amused by the idea of a "coach potato" too! What a lovely typo.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: implement vs introduce

    I agree with you. I feel that you implement policies and decisions, not school subjects or sports.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: implement vs introduce

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I agree with you. I feel that you implement policies and decisions, not school subjects or sports.
    .And another candidate for implementation is a computer protocol - so that you can here IT types saying things like 'Crasho is an implementation of RFC 9999'. (I can't say that this is a development that I applaud, but having spent the first few months of my spell at DEC trying to resist it I just gave up!)

    b

    PS Are we sure that 'coach' was a simple typo - rather than confusion between /ɑʊ/ and /əʊ/? Both diphthongs end with /ʊ/ after all, and the metaphor is pretty random. (Alastair Campbell said it was a pun on 'tuber', which is fun though I haven't checked in any more reliable reference.)
    Last edited by BobK; 14-Nov-2011 at 11:53. Reason: PS added

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: implement vs introduce

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    PS Are we sure that 'coach' was a simple typo - rather than confusion between /ɑʊ/ and /əʊ/? Both diphthongs end with /ʊ/ after all, and the metaphor is pretty random. (Alastair Campbell said it was a pun on 'tuber', which is fun though I haven't checked in any more reliable reference.)
    I was attempting to draw attention to the error without suggesting that either the OP or the student actually believed that that was the phrase. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt first. We're all guilty of plenty of typos on this forum so I tend to head there first.

    Having said that, it's not the first time I've seen this particular phrase misspelt/misunderstood/misused.

  6. vectra's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Jun 2005
    • Posts: 278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: implement vs introduce

    Dear emsr2d2,
    Thank you for pointing out this mistake; I should have noticed it myself. Of course, it is 'couch potato'.
    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I was attempting to draw attention to the error without suggesting that either the OP or the student actually believed that that was the phrase. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt first. We're all guilty of plenty of typos on this forum so I tend to head there first.

    Having said that, it's not the first time I've seen this particular phrase misspelt/misunderstood/misused.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] implemented / implement
    By manikchoudhary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2011, 09:18
  2. [Vocabulary] Difference: transact-implement
    By virus99 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2011, 18:26
  3. first implement adn then execute
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-Mar-2011, 09:56
  4. [Grammar] Which is the correct one... for implementing OR to implement?
    By SunMoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18-Feb-2009, 15:09
  5. implement=clothes?
    By KuaiLe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Jun-2006, 06:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •