• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Default implement vs introduce

Hello,

These are the lines from one of my students' home assignments in which she commented on the article http://http://tweentribune.com/conte...rt-guess-where:
    'Well, to my mind it's a great idea, the only drawback being a danger of injuring yourself. In general I always approve of new kinds of sport being implemented into a timetable. It's definitely more useful then just to be coach potatoes as a lot of students have got used to.'
    I can't agree that 'implement' is the best choice, speaking about the student's comments.
    She might have tried to use the word after reading this sentence from the article:
    'The state Department of Education is working with the new appointed Board of Education on developing a plan to implement surfing.'

I would change the sentence into:
    'In general I always approve of new kinds of sports being introduced into a curriculum.'

What do you think about it?

Thank you for the time and help.
    Last edited by vectra; 14-Nov-2011 at 10:15. Reason: typo

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: implement vs introduce

Quote Originally Posted by vectra View Post
    Hello,

These are the lines from one of my students' home assignments in which she commented on the article http://http://tweentribune.com/conte...rt-guess-where:
    'Well, to my mind it's a great idea, the only drawback being a danger of injuring yourself. In general I always approve of new kinds of sport being implemented into a timetable. It's definitely more useful then just to be coach potatoes as a lot of students have got used to.'
    I can't agree that 'implement' is the best choice, speaking about the student's comments.
    She might have tried to use the word after reading this sentence from the article:
    'The state Department of Education is working with the new appointed Board of Education on developing a plan to implement surfing.'

I would change the sentence into:
    'In general I always approve of new kinds of sports being introduced into a curriculum.'

What do you think about it?

Thank you for the time and help.
    I agree with you that "introduce" would be better. Will you be pointing out that "In general, I always approve..." is somewhat contradictory? Is it "In general, I approve ..." or "I always approve ..."? It can't be both.

I'm a little amused by the idea of a "coach potato" too! What a lovely typo.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you. I feel that you implement policies and decisions, not school subjects or sports.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I agree with you. I feel that you implement policies and decisions, not school subjects or sports.
    .And another candidate for implementation is a computer protocol - so that you can here IT types saying things like 'Crasho is an implementation of RFC 9999'. (I can't say that this is a development that I applaud, but having spent the first few months of my spell at DEC trying to resist it I just gave up!)

b

PS Are we sure that 'coach' was a simple typo - rather than confusion between /ɑʊ/ and /əʊ/? Both diphthongs end with /ʊ/ after all, and the metaphor is pretty random. (Alastair Campbell said it was a pun on 'tuber', which is fun though I haven't checked in any more reliable reference.)
    Last edited by BobK; 14-Nov-2011 at 10:53. Reason: PS added

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    PS Are we sure that 'coach' was a simple typo - rather than confusion between /ɑʊ/ and /əʊ/? Both diphthongs end with /ʊ/ after all, and the metaphor is pretty random. (Alastair Campbell said it was a pun on 'tuber', which is fun though I haven't checked in any more reliable reference.)
    I was attempting to draw attention to the error without suggesting that either the OP or the student actually believed that that was the phrase. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt first. We're all guilty of plenty of typos on this forum so I tend to head there first.

Having said that, it's not the first time I've seen this particular phrase misspelt/misunderstood/misused.

vectra is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear emsr2d2,
    Thank you for pointing out this mistake; I should have noticed it myself. Of course, it is 'couch potato'.
    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I was attempting to draw attention to the error without suggesting that either the OP or the student actually believed that that was the phrase. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt first. We're all guilty of plenty of typos on this forum so I tend to head there first.

Having said that, it's not the first time I've seen this particular phrase misspelt/misunderstood/misused.