English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

These are the lines from one of my students' home assignments in which she commented on the article http://http://tweentribune.com/content/surfing-official-school-sport-guess-where:
'Well, to my mind it's a great idea, the only drawback being a danger of injuring yourself. In general I always approve of new kinds of sport being implemented into a timetable. It's definitely more useful then just to be coach potatoes as a lot of students have got used to.'
I can't agree that 'implement' is the best choice, speaking about the student's comments.
She might have tried to use the word after reading this sentence from the article:
'The state Department of Education is working with the new appointed Board of Education on developing a plan to implement surfing.'

I would change the sentence into:
'In general I always approve of new kinds of sports being introduced into a curriculum.'

What do you think about it?

Thank you for the time and help.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

These are the lines from one of my students' home assignments in which she commented on the article http://http://tweentribune.com/content/surfing-official-school-sport-guess-where:
'Well, to my mind it's a great idea, the only drawback being a danger of injuring yourself. In general I always approve of new kinds of sport being implemented into a timetable. It's definitely more useful then just to be coach potatoes as a lot of students have got used to.'
I can't agree that 'implement' is the best choice, speaking about the student's comments.
She might have tried to use the word after reading this sentence from the article:
'The state Department of Education is working with the new appointed Board of Education on developing a plan to implement surfing.'

I would change the sentence into:
'In general I always approve of new kinds of sports being introduced into a curriculum.'

What do you think about it?

Thank you for the time and help.

I agree with you that "introduce" would be better. Will you be pointing out that "In general, I always approve..." is somewhat contradictory? Is it "In general, I approve ..." or "I always approve ..."? It can't be both.

I'm a little amused by the idea of a "coach potato" too! What a lovely typo.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with you. I feel that you implement policies and decisions, not school subjects or sports.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with you. I feel that you implement policies and decisions, not school subjects or sports.

:up:.And another candidate for implementation is a computer protocol - so that you can here IT types saying things like 'Crasho is an implementation of RFC 9999'. (I can't say that this is a development that I applaud, but having spent the first few months of my spell at DEC trying to resist it I just gave up!)

b

PS Are we sure that 'coach' was a simple typo - rather than confusion between /ɑʊ/ and /əʊ/? Both diphthongs end with /ʊ/ after all, and the metaphor is pretty random. (Alastair Campbell said it was a pun on 'tuber', which is fun though I haven't checked in any more reliable reference.)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS Are we sure that 'coach' was a simple typo - rather than confusion between /ɑʊ/ and /əʊ/? Both diphthongs end with /ʊ/ after all, and the metaphor is pretty random. (Alastair Campbell said it was a pun on 'tuber', which is fun though I haven't checked in any more reliable reference.)

I was attempting to draw attention to the error without suggesting that either the OP or the student actually believed that that was the phrase. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt first. We're all guilty of plenty of typos on this forum so I tend to head there first.

Having said that, it's not the first time I've seen this particular phrase misspelt/misunderstood/misused.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear emsr2d2,
Thank you for pointing out this mistake; I should have noticed it myself. Of course, it is 'couch potato'.
I was attempting to draw attention to the error without suggesting that either the OP or the student actually believed that that was the phrase. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt first. We're all guilty of plenty of typos on this forum so I tend to head there first.

Having said that, it's not the first time I've seen this particular phrase misspelt/misunderstood/misused.

Status
Not open for further replies.