Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    M56 Guest

Default "The weather continues cold."

Anything wrong with this, IYO?

"The weather continues cold."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "The weather continues cold."

it would better be " the weather is still cold" or "the weather keeps being cold"
    or "the weather continues to be cold/being cold"
    these are what i think about that,but this is not my native language, so dont count on me

M56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ssendur
    it would better be " the weather is still cold" or "the weather keeps being cold"
    or "the weather continues to be cold/being cold"
    these are what i think about that,but this is not my native language, so dont count on me
    No, your answer is welcome.

Which would you prefer here?

And how about:

Finding suitable accomodation continued difficult for Sarah.

Do you prefer the infinitival?

Finding suitable accomodation continued to be difficult for Sarah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M56
    No, your answer is welcome.

Which would you prefer here?

And how about:

Finding suitable accomodation continued difficult for Sarah.

Do you prefer the infinitival?

Finding suitable accomodation continued to be difficult for Sarah.
    i would say "the weather is still cold". i think you think in your own language, this approach is always troublesome. in english you dont need to use "continue" to express progression. it is not like french. the more common way of expressing what you want to say is to use the word "still". try this: "finding a suitable accomodation was still difficult for sarah." or " it was still very hard for sarah to find an accomodation"
    what is your first language?

M56 Guest

i would say "the weather is still cold". i think you think in your own language, this approach is always troublesome. in english you dont need to use "continue" to express progression. it is not like french. the more common way of expressing what you want to say is to use the word "still". try this: "finding a suitable accomodation was still difficult for sarah." or " it was still very hard for sarah to find an accomodation"
    what is your first language?
    My first langauge is English, and I am a teacher, but I sometimes like to find out what other teachers, native and nonnative, think about certain constructions. The use of "continue" is more common in weather reports that in the use of us mere mortals.

Here are a few more examples (this time with "like"):

Jenny felt an intruder
    Jenny felt like an intruder.

It seemed a good idea.
    It seemed like a good idea.

Which do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

by the way, i am not an english teacher. actually, i have nothing to do with english except the fact that i am a computer programmer. so all the stuff i read is in english. i am sorry , i feel like i am arrogant now.
    you are the man!:)

Post Thanks / Like

jenny felt like an intruder is better, by the same token, it seemed like a good idea is better.
    because using like make the verb more reflective.

M56 Guest

jenny felt like an intruder is better, by the same token, it seemed like a good idea is better.
    because using like make the verb more reflective.
    I like your way of thinking about these things. Catch you later. Off to bed now. G'nite.

Post Thanks / Like

teşekkür ederim(thanks in turkish)
    i like the way you speak english, that doesnt sound native(because you dont speak any slang or yet you speak plain english). i can help you with some problems of foreign english speakers.
    i like english very much, it is a great technical language. You know what, even though i have two options for one book like buying the turkish version or the english one, i choose the english version as understand it better when the issue is technical. English has the biggest vocabulary amidst languages. So might be why i am more concerned about english than many english teachers. When you have a big thinking tool like english it becomes easy to think(cover) deep things. i always say " i wish my first language was english" , and people accuse me of not being nationalistic about my own language and country, i say " that is not about nation man, that is about science.."

Post Thanks / Like

"Pantheism is distinguished from panentheism, which holds that God is in everything, but also transcends the Universe."
    in the sentence above, i can not decide which part does "which" refer to,
    does it refer to pantheism or panentheism,and naturally, i can not decide which one does the phrase " but also transcends the universe" refer to.
    what is the generic rule for this kind of expressions.
    thank you for your help

i really need to know this m56, i post it as new tread but no one give a .uck to it , so like you to answer this question above

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast