Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 28
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Question a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    In fact, I've posted the question in my last thread with another question. But I 'm afraid this question has not been answered so far, I'd like to put it here again.
    In Pronuncitation class, we often use silent/quiet/dropped to describe some words, for example:in " stop for a while", "p"is quiet. Do these words (silent/quiet/dropped )mean the same?

  1. SlickVic9000's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,024
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    (Not a Teacher)

    I do believe this question should be in the Pronunciation and Phonetics forum. But to answer your question, I'd say they mean the same thing. However, I'm no expert on phonetics, so they could hold a more nuanced meaning for phoneticians.
    Last edited by SlickVic9000; 15-Nov-2011 at 04:28.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 28
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    I see. Thank you for reminding. I'm sorry for putting the wrong question here.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    I have moved the thread to the appropriate forum.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by marymay12 View Post

    In Pronuncitation class, we often use silent/quiet/dropped to describe some words, for example:in " stop for a while", "p"is quiet. Do these words (silent/quiet/dropped )mean the same?
    When you use these words in class, do you mean that the sound is not pronounced at all?
    Last edited by birdeen's call; 15-Nov-2011 at 15:04. Reason: they -> you

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    When the /p/ is followed by another plosive, (/p/, /t/, /k/, /b/, /g/, d/), it is not 'dropped'. It is simply not audibly released.

    When it is followed by a labiodental sound (/f/, /v/), /p/, normally a labiodental plosive/stop, may become a labiodental stop.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,229
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by marymay12 View Post
    In fact, I've posted the question in my last thread with another question. But I 'm afraid this question has not been answered so far, I'd like to put it here again.
    In Pronuncitation class, we often use silent/quiet/dropped to describe some words, for example:in " stop for a while", "p"is quiet. Do these words (silent/quiet/dropped )mean the same?
    You say you use these words often in class. What do you mean when you use them? The schema you are using must have come from somewhere.
    (I wouldn't call 'p' any of those words).

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 28
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Smile Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    Actually, I've been reading two books on pronunciation where I found these three descriptive words. Now I see that "quiet"and "silent" mean the same. When we use these two words to describe the plosives /b/, /b/,/t/,/d/,/k/,/g/, we mean uttering these sounds without much puff of air. The result is that we can hardly hear these sounds though we pronounced them. When we say they are dropped, we mean the phoneme(s) are not pronounced at all.
    Am I right? Anyone who'd like to check my interpretation?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by marymay12 View Post
    Actually, I've been reading two books on pronunciation where I found these three descriptive words. Now I see that "quiet"and "silent" mean the same. When we use these two words to describe the plosives /b/, /b/,/t/,/d/,/k/,/g/, we mean uttering these sounds without much puff of air. The result is that we can hardly hear these sounds though we pronounced them. When we say they are dropped, we mean the phoneme(s) are not pronounced at all.
    Am I right? Anyone who'd like to check my interpretation?
    Could you quote some relevant fragments of those books? I have not come across any rigorous defnitions of these words in the books and articles on phonetics I've read.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: a pronunciation questions:silent/quiet/dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by marymay12 View Post
    I see that "quiet"and "silent" mean the same. When we use these two words to describe the plosives /b/, /b/,/t/,/d/,/k/,/g/, we mean uttering these sounds without much puff of air. The result is that we can hardly hear these sounds though we pronounced them.
    Phoneticians usuall say that they are not audibly released
    When we say they are dropped, we mean the phoneme(s) are not pronounced at all.
    Am I right? Anyone who'd like to check my interpretation?
    We usually say that they are elided when they 'disappear'. An example of this is in "next week"; in casual conversation, many native speakers elide (drop) the /t/.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. quiet, calm, still, silent
    By henz988 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2009, 16:47
  2. quiet and silent, father and further
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Nov-2007, 07:48
  3. Be silent! vs. Be quiet!
    By Jupiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2006, 09:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •