Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In fact, I've posted the question in my last thread with another question. But I 'm afraid this question has not been answered so far, I'd like to put it here again.
In Pronuncitation class, we often use silent/quiet/dropped to describe some words, for example:in " stop for a while", "p"is quiet. Do these words (silent/quiet/dropped )mean the same?

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I do believe this question should be in the Pronunciation and Phonetics forum. But to answer your question, I'd say they mean the same thing. However, I'm no expert on phonetics, so they could hold a more nuanced meaning for phoneticians.

Last edited:

marymay12

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I see. Thank you for reminding. I'm sorry for putting the wrong question here.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have moved the thread to the appropriate forum.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

In Pronuncitation class, we often use silent/quiet/dropped to describe some words, for example:in " stop for a while", "p"is quiet. Do these words (silent/quiet/dropped )mean the same?
When you use these words in class, do you mean that the sound is not pronounced at all?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When the /p/ is followed by another plosive, (/p/, /t/, /k/, /b/, /g/, d/), it is not 'dropped'. It is simply not audibly released.

When it is followed by a labiodental sound (/f/, /v/), /p/, normally a labiodental plosive/stop, may become a labiodental stop.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In fact, I've posted the question in my last thread with another question. But I 'm afraid this question has not been answered so far, I'd like to put it here again.

You say you use these words often in class. What do you mean when you use them? The schema you are using must have come from somewhere.
(I wouldn't call 'p' any of those words).

marymay12

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Actually, I've been reading two books on pronunciation where I found these three descriptive words. Now I see that "quiet"and "silent" mean the same. When we use these two words to describe the plosives /b/, /b/,/t/,/d/,/k/,/g/, we mean uttering these sounds without much puff of air. The result is that we can hardly hear these sounds though we pronounced them. When we say they are dropped, we mean the phoneme(s) are not pronounced at all.
Am I right? Anyone who'd like to check my interpretation?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Actually, I've been reading two books on pronunciation where I found these three descriptive words. Now I see that "quiet"and "silent" mean the same. When we use these two words to describe the plosives /b/, /b/,/t/,/d/,/k/,/g/, we mean uttering these sounds without much puff of air. The result is that we can hardly hear these sounds though we pronounced them. When we say they are dropped, we mean the phoneme(s) are not pronounced at all.
Could you quote some relevant fragments of those books? I have not come across any rigorous defnitions of these words in the books and articles on phonetics I've read.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I see that "quiet"and "silent" mean the same. When we use these two words to describe the plosives /b/, /b/,/t/,/d/,/k/,/g/, we mean uttering these sounds without much puff of air. The result is that we can hardly hear these sounds though we pronounced them.
Phoneticians usuall say that they are not audibly released
When we say they are dropped, we mean the phoneme(s) are not pronounced at all.
We usually say that they are elided when they 'disappear'. An example of this is in "next week"; in casual conversation, many native speakers elide (drop) the /t/.

marymay12

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Neither in the pronunciation book I'm reading now. The author just used these words to describe some pronunciation phenomenon and I was confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.