Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Quote from VOA news:
"The sexual abuse of children was outrageous," he said. "The cover-up, the subsequent cover-up, though, is what I think fundamentally disappoints and hurts so many of us, inside and outside the Church. Because we recognize that there has not been the type of far-reaching efforts to both identify what went wrong and what was the mindset that actually cannot admit, 'We made a mistake.'
My question is :
What does "far-reaching efforts "mean?
Thanks

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Quote from VOA news:
"The sexual abuse of children was outrageous," he said. "The cover-up, the subsequent cover-up, though, is what I think fundamentally disappoints and hurts so many of us, inside and outside the Church. Because we recognize that there has not been the type of far-reaching efforts to both identify what went wrong and what was the mindset that actually cannot admit, 'We made a mistake.'
My question is :
What does "far-reaching efforts "mean?
Thanks
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/far-reaching

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I know what "far-reaching" means.I just don't know what " far-reaching efforts" means.
I'll assume you also know what an effort is then. You can ignore the plural "efforts" - the meaning is the same.
"The Church needs to make a far-reaching effort to identify what went wrong."
A far-reaching effort, in this sense, is an effort that is far-reaching.
The efforts that the Church has made so far have not been far-reaching enough. The efforts haven't reached far enough (eg. to the Pope, to the Bishops concerned).
"Not far-reaching enough" means not deep or extensive enough. Too shallow; not seriously investigative. The Church isn't trying. Their efforts are inadequate in terms of reach and depth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.