Thread: Will/going to

Anonymous Guest

Default Will/going to

Hello all,

I have a question over will and going to.

The excercise I am looking at is asking students to choose between the following:

Will life be / Is life going to be better in the future?

What will you / or are you doing tomorrow evening?

I know it's a pretty simple question but I am unsure what rules apply to will/going to for questions. The students have to decide the appropriate form.

Any help would be great thank you yours unsure again

gwendolinest Guest

Both are used to describe events that are expected to take place in the future. I dont think there are any hard & fast rules for when to use which, but Id say that the to be going to fom is more often used if you think the event is going to happen shortly in the future.

This is more or less the case in languages such as French and Spanish, in which the to be going to construction is also found. Its probably the same in English.

()

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Will/going to

Quote Originally Posted by unsure
    Any help would be great thank you yours unsure again
    Hi there,

Have you considered registering with this forum? Have you already done so and forgotten (I notice there is a member called Mr Unsure)

Aside from being free and easy to do, it allows you to use all of the forum features, and gives you a number very useful benefits over simply being a guest.

Regards,
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

Anonymous Guest

I would just add that "will" expresses more a sense of urgency or importance than "to be going to". Using "will" sounds more definite, as in a prediction we are sure of and can also refer to intentions.

"to be going to" This functions in the same way, but when we use it, to me, it doesn't sound like as strong a statement as a statement with "will".

I will do that now. I'll do that now.

I'm going to do that now.

Both have the same meaning, but the one with "will" sounds more emphatic, or like a stronger statement.

However, no one makes a conscious choice about which one to use. It just comes out in the natural flow of speech.