[Application] Please help me see part of my application essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanglili

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please help me see if these sentences in my essay in understandable and appropriate. THANK YOU!

1. Meanwhile, observation in classrooms gave me the impression that students who used the largest number of grammatical forms, instead of the most appropriate ones, got more praise than others.

2. Your courses distinctively include diversity in language learners as one of its emphases, which is alsomy interest.

3. This rewarding experience solidified my desire to teach but also revealed to me how far my students were from qualified English learners.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please help me see if these sentences in my essay in understandable and appropriate. THANK YOU!

1. Meanwhile, observation in classrooms gave me the impression that students who used the largest number of grammatical forms, instead of the most appropriate ones, got more praise than others. OK

2. Your courses distinctively include diversity in (if I understand your statement, I think "among" would be better than "in") language learners as one of [STRIKE]its emphases[/STRIKE] their main features (or "focal points" or "strong points"), which is also my interest.

3. This rewarding experience solidified my desire to teach but also revealed to me how far my students [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] are from qualified English learners (what are "qualified English learners" ?).

Suggestions.

wanglili

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
May I ask why should I use present tense instead of past tense in This rewarding experience solidified my desire to teach but also revealed to me how far my students were are from qualified English learners.
??
I think tenses in the same sentence should be the same. Thank you!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I ask why should I use present tense instead of past tense in This rewarding experience solidified my desire to teach but also revealed to me how far my students were are from qualified English learners.
??
I think tenses in the same sentence should be the same. Thank you!

Has the distance from qualified English speakers ended?

wanglili

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have stopped teaching those students. So I think this judgement happened in the past. Is it still better to use past perfect tense?
THANKS.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have stopped teaching those students. So I think this judgement happened in the past. Is it still better to use past perfect tense?
THANKS.

"Were" or "had been" would be OK.

wanglili

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, Bil!