Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I took a long time to write a true story of myself which I'd like to share with you guys. I hope you could spend a little time to revise or proofread this writing while reading it. Thanks in advance!

The accident occurred when I was a senior in high school. One day I rode home on the sidewalk after school. After a few minutes’ riding, I saw a truck about 20 meters ahead moving in my direction. The truck, which was used to transport stone, had huge wheels. The truck did not raise my curiosity because there was a construction site about 10 meters away from the sidewalk and the sidewalk was wide enough for a truck to travel on. As we both moved slowly and there was quite a long distance between us, I did not pay attention to the truck. But when I was only a few meters away from the truck, I suddenly found that it showed no sign of slowing down or changing direction. Before I changed my direction to avoid the truck, I was knocked down by it. Even at that moment I still thought it would stop right away. Unexpectedly the truck kept moving forward, and soon I was under the truck. One of those huge wheels was pressing on the right back side of my head and my left cheek was facing the ground. The truck was still moving and made my body move with it. Fortunately the wheel did not run over my head. It just made my head rubbing on the ground. Not until the truck hit the fence did it stop.

At that time I was still conscious, so I heard a lot of laborers on the construction site crying something like “A kid was knocked down by the truck!” “He must be dead.” etc. Then they rushed here and tried to lift the truck to get me out. Since there were a lot of people, the truck was easily lifted up. But to my great surprise, the truck abruptly fell down. May be it was because they were nervous, or they lost their balance. I totally have no idea. The fall made me give a loud cry, so they knew that I was still alive. They tried one more time, and thank goodness they didn’t drop the truck again.

After I was pulled out, I sat on the ground breathing heavily. My face was filled with blood and wet cement and I could not open my left eye. I was completely overwhelmed. I did not know what to say, what to do. The driver also lost his mind and did not know what he was supposed to. Those laborers urged him to take me to the hospital immediately. The driver was so out of his mind that he did not know how to take me to the hospital. The laborers reminded him that he should hail a taxi. So he dragged me with him, hurrying to hail a taxi.

To my great surprise again, the first taxi passing by refused to stop. The second taxi pulled up, but he warned me not to soil his seats. What cold-blooded those people were! If I had been a normal person that time, I would have kicked his ass. Anyway I got to the hospital and had my body checked out. My left collarbone and the first rib in my left side were broken. Luckily besides a huge scar on my left cheek, there was not trauma caused in my brain. But my head went totally out of normal shape, which made me look like a monster for a couple of days. Later the driver told me that the original driver had drunk a lot of alcohol the previous evening and asked him to replace him for one day. The driver who knocked me down was not good at driving at all. When the truck hit me, instead of stepping on the brake, he stepped on the gas!

I lied in the hospital for a month and it took me half a year to fully recover. The accident did not cause eternal injury to my body except a little swell on my collarbone and I joined the military half a year after the accident. Miraculously the huge scar on my left cheek gradually disappeared. You can see from my picture that there is nothing left on my face.

Chinese people always say: “One who survives a great disaster is destined to good fortune for ever after.” But nearly nine years have passed since the accident. And what is more, I have gone through great disasters twice and the car accident was the second one. Sadly I still have not found my fortune. About the first disaster I experienced, I may tell you guys later in another writing.

Gretchenplay

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
South Korea
Hello Monte_Cristo!
What a horrible story! That is my worst nightmare. Glad you survived it. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote, and on the whole I thought it was really well written. I did make some changes. Some are grammatical (not many), and some are stylistic. Most notably I rearranged your final paragraph. But, of course, these are just my suggestions.
Hope your get your good fortune soon.

The accident occurred when I was a senior in high school. One day I was riding home on the sidewalk after school. After a few minutes[STRIKE][/STRIKE] riding, I saw a truck about 20 meters ahead moving in my direction. The truck, which was used to transport stone, had huge wheels. [STRIKE]The truck[/STRIKE] It did not raise my curiosity because there was a construction site about 10 meters away, [STRIKE]from the sidewalk[/STRIKE] and the sidewalk was wide enough for a truck (and a bike?) to travel on. As we both moved slowly, and there was quite a long distance between us, I did not pay attention to it. But when I was only a few meters away from the truck, I suddenly found that it showed no sign of slowing down or changing direction. Before I had time to change direction, [STRIKE]to avoid the truck[/STRIKE] I was knocked down [STRIKE]by it[/STRIKE]. Even at that moment I still thought it would stop right away. Unexpectedly the truck kept moving forward, and soon I was under [STRIKE]the truck[/STRIKE] it. One of those huge wheels was pressing on the back, right side of my head and my left cheek was facing the ground. The truck was still moving and [STRIKE]made [/STRIKE]my body was moving with it. Fortunately the wheel did not run over my head; it just [STRIKE]made my head[/STRIKE] rubbed it on the ground. Not until the truck hit the fence did it stop.

At that time I was still conscious, and I heard a lot of laborers on the construction site crying something like “A kid was knocked down by the truck!” “He must be dead.” etc. Then they rushed over and tried to lift the truck to get me out. Since there were a lot of people, the truck was easily lifted up, but to my great surprise, [STRIKE]the truck[/STRIKE] it abruptly fell down. Maybe it was because they were nervous, or they lost their balance. I totally have no idea. The fall made me give a loud cry, so they knew that I was still alive. They tried one more time, and thank goodness they didn’t drop [STRIKE]the truck[/STRIKE] it again.

After I was pulled out, I sat on the ground breathing heavily. My face was filled with blood and wet cement and I could not open my left eye. I was completely overwhelmed. I did not know what to say, what to do. The driver also lost his mind and did not know what he was supposed to do. The laborers urged him to take me to the hospital immediately, but the driver was so out of his mind that he did not know how to take me [STRIKE]to the hospital[/STRIKE] there. The laborers suggested that he should hail a taxi. So he dragged me with him, hurrying to [STRIKE]hail a taxi[/STRIKE] catch one.

To my great surprise [STRIKE]again[/STRIKE], the first taxi passing by refused to stop. The second taxi pulled up, but he warned me not to soil his seats. How cold-blooded those people were! If I had been [STRIKE]a normal person[/STRIKE] able at that time, I would have kicked his ass. Anyway I got to the hospital and had my body checked out. My left collarbone and the first rib in my left side were broken. Luckily, besides a huge scar on my left cheek, there was no trauma caused to my brain, but my head was totally out of normal shape, which made me look like a monster for a couple of days. Later the driver told me that the original driver had drunk a lot of alcohol the previous evening and asked him to replace him for one day. The driver who knocked me down was not good at driving at all. When the truck hit me, instead of stepping on the brake, he stepped on the gas!

I lay in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] hospital for a month and it took me half a year to fully recover. The accident did not cause any lasting injury to my body except a little swelling on my collarbone, and I was able to join the military half a year later [STRIKE] the accident [/STRIKE]. Miraculously the huge scar on my left cheek gradually disappeared. You can see from my picture that there is nothing left on my face.

That was the second great disaster I have experienced in my life, and despite what Chinese people always say: “One who survives a great disaster is destined to good fortune for ever after”, nine years have passed and, sadly, I still have not found my fortune. In a future letter I may tell you guys about my first disaster.

Last edited:

Monte_Cristo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you so much!
Sorry for late reply! I just saw this response today: )

Status
Not open for further replies.