• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chicago Style In-text Citation Question

This question is purely a citation question. Please ignore any grammar/spelling mistake and focus on the style.

Example paragraph 1:

The blabalbalblabal is (or defined as) "balbalbalbalabalblabl." Several case studies show balbalbalbalbal. Many experts believe balbalblabal to be true.[One citation here] This trend may continue if there is no paradigm shift.

Question 1:

The first three sentences come from the same source or a similar area of the source (like the same page or something like 30-35). The last sentence is my own thought. Then, do I only put one citation like the above?

I was taught that if the cited materials come from the same source and area (pages) and they are in the same paragraph, I should only put one citation at the very last cited material (usually at the very end of the paragraph).

Also, if the first sentence is not a directly quoted material, is there a difference?

Example 2:

A is "the process of balblablablablb." However, this can be very misleading because balblalbalba (my own comment). The scholar tries to clarify his position on the matter by explaining lbalbalbalbal. [Citation here].

Question 2:

If two sentences are cited from the same page or area of the article in one paragraph, but they are divided by some sentences of my own comment, do I need to add individual citations for both sentnces?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by vcolts; 22-Nov-2011 at 07:55.

JohnParis is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chicago Style In-text Citation Question

Quote Originally Posted by vcolts View Post
    This question is purely a citation question. Please ignore any grammar/spelling mistake and focus on the style.

Example paragraph 1:

The blabalbalblabal is (or defined as) "balbalbalbalabalblabl." Several case studies show balbalbalbalbal. Many experts believe balbalblabal to be true.[One citation here] This trend may continue if there is no paradigm shift.

Question 1:

The first three sentences come from the same source or a similar area of the source (like the same page or something like 30-35). The last sentence is my own thought. Then, do I only put one citation like the above? YES

I was taught that if the cited materials come from the same source and area (pages) and they are in the same paragraph, I should only put one citation at the very last cited material (usually at the very end of the paragraph). YES, but you can also insert the citation at the end of the thought. Sometimes the end of the paragraph is quite far and the reader would like to see the reference sooner. It's a matter of style, and with the advent of electronic click-downs to the citation which then opens in a new browser, the end of paragraph rule is being greatly relaxed.

Also, if the first sentence is not a directly quoted material, is there a difference? Please be more precise - I don't understand this question.

Example 2:

A is "the process of balblablablablb." However, this can be very misleading because balblalbalba (my own comment). The scholar tries to clarify his position on the matter by explaining lbalbalbalbal. [Citation here].

Question 2:

If two sentences are cited from the same page or area of the article in one paragraph, but they are divided by some sentences of my own comment, do I need to add individual citations for both sentnces? Yes. Of course the number of the citation would remain the same.

Thanks in advance.
    John