Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could this idiom be used in the same context when 'what's your game?' is used?

Thank you a lot!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What context is that?

"What's the catch?" is used when someone is trying to sell you something (or some idea) and it seems too good to be true.

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
What's the catch? and whats the game?

These two questions can refer to sports but i think there is a difference between them.

The catch means a game in which a ball is thrown back and forth between two or more players.

The game means a form of competitive activity or sports.

i think the difference is that the game has a broader use and meaning whereas the catch has a limitted meaning.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You are completely off the track, Mohammadhelmi. Soothing Dave has explained, correctly, the meaning of 'What's the catch?'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What's the catch? and whats the game?

These two questions can refer to sports but i think there is a difference between them.

The catch means a game in which a ball is thrown back and forth between two or more players.

The game means a form of competitive activity or sports.

i think the difference is that the game has a broader use and meaning whereas the catch has a limitted meaning.

Sorry, but you're not even close. Apart from anything else, the game you're referring to where a ball is thrown back and forth is just called "Catch", not "the catch". As has previously been said, "What's the catch?" is a standard idiomatic phrase used in English.

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
There is a difference between the 2 phrases.

As explained earlier, "what's the catch?" is asking where the hidden disadvantage is in something that seems to have only advantages. Refers to the situation.

"What's your game?" is asked to the person who you suspect may be trying to trick you. Similar to "What are you up to?". Refers to the person.

Status
Not open for further replies.