Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
With some places, we need 'the'. For example, the cinema, the bank, the station,fhe factory, the house, the library, the office, the pub, the shop.

Qusestion 1. Should I use 'the' before park?

Question 2.
A. Where are you going?
B. I'm going to bank or library. (Does it sound unnatural if I don't use 'the' before bank or library?

Thanks for your help?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With some places, we need 'the'. For example, the cinema, the bank, the station,fhe factory, the house, the library, the office, the pub, the shop.

Qusestion 1. Should I use 'the' before park?

Question 2.
A. Where are you going?
B. I'm going to bank or library. (Does it sound unnatural if I don't use 'the' before bank or library?

Thanks for your help?

Yes, it sounds completely unnatural without the article. We omit the article when we're using a proper noun after "to".

I'm going to London.
I'm going to Sussex University.
I'm going to Brazil.
I'm going to Mars.
I'm going to Lloyds Bank.

With a common noun, you need an article of some description (or, as you will see here, something like a possessive):

I'm going to the bank.
I'm going to the shops.
I'm going to the library.
I'm going to a library. (I'm not being specific about which library.)
I'm going to that restaurant I told you about.
I'm going to my favourite theatre tonight.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
-Not a teacher-

My understanding of it is;
If you are talking about a bank both you and the person you are speaking to know about either through past experiences or through telepathy or whatever, then you can put "the" in front of it.

If you want to keep it arbitrary or don't think the listener would know which bank it is, then you go with "a" .

Don't quote me on this because I am just a learner.

Last edited:

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
With a common noun, you need an article of some description (or, as you will see here, something like a possessive):

I'm going to the bank.
I'm going to the shops.
I'm going to the library.
I'm going to a library. (I'm not being specific about which library.)
I'm going to that restaurant I told you about.
I'm going to my favourite theatre tonight.

Thanks to VIP member emsr2d2 and rainous.

Does 'With a common noun, you need an article of some description (or, as you will see here, something like a possessive) equal to 'You cannot use singular countable nouns alone (without a/the/my etc.)

Thanks for your help.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Does 'With a common noun, you need an article of some description (or, as you will see here, something like a possessive) equal to 'You cannot use singular countable nouns alone (without a/the/my etc.)

It usually means that. There are probably exceptions.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
With a number of places, we sometimes view the activity as more important than the place. Thus 'I'm going to the pub' may simply mean 'I am going out for a drink'. Although the speaker almost certainly knows which pub they will be drinking in, that is not of any significance, and they do not expect the listener to know which pub it is. Of course, if this is said in a small village where there is only one pub, then both people do know exactly which pub it is.

'A pub' is fairly unnatural in this sense, and, in my opinion, 'I am going to the library' would be more natural than 'I am going to a library'. The speaker is normally indicating that they are going to borrow, take back or read a book, not that they are heading towards a particular building.

Words which are used with 'the' in a similar way include library, bank, post office, theatre, cinema, opera , ballet, gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.