• Post Thanks / Like

How to use "s" and "ed"

1. The rule of tumb is he,she & it a "s" is used eg, he eats, she cries. Words in negative form eg. he did not eat or she did not cry. The "s" is omitted.Correct?.
    2. What is the difference of sport & sports.
    3. Do I write as far as I'm concern or concerned.How to use concern & concerned in a proper English.
    4. Which is right, to close or to closed account or accounts.

Appreciate your explaination, please

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use "s" and "ed"

The rule of tumb is, with he, she, and it, "s" is used; e.g., he eats, she cries. Words in negative form;e.g., he did not eat or she did not cry. The "s" is omitted. Correct?.
    Correct, but you've placed the verb in the past tense. Here's the present tense:

EX: He does not eat.
    EX: She does not cry.

Note that, -s is still there. It moves over to the auxiliary verb "does"; e.g., eats => does not eat; cries => does not cry.

What is the difference of sport & sports.
    "sport" refers to one, and "sports" refers to many. There are exceptions, though. Do you have a particular example in mind?

Do I write as far as I'm concern or concerned. How to use concern & concerned in a proper English.
    It's "I am concerned."

EX: It is a concern of mine.
    EX: I have a concern.
    EX: I have a couple of concerns.
    EX: Do you have any concerns?
    EX: This concerns you and me.
    EX: Don't concern yourself.

EX: She was concerned about me.
    EX: He is a concerned citizen.

Which is right, to close or to closed account or accounts.
    It's "to close an account"; e.g., "to close the account(s)" or "to close my account(s)."

• Post Thanks / Like

Dear Teacher,

I saw on CNN TV sports news segment that the title of the news reads as Sport. Why sport & not sports because there were many sports activities being broadcasted.

I was told by a friend that an account simply means a customer. Account can also refer to as eg. an account of events taking place. Accounts on the other hand means more than one customer. But why call a department as accounts eg.Accounts Department.

I also understand "close" can mean eg. stand close to someone or I'm very close with Miss Sally. So how can "closed" or "shut" apart from eg. the shop is closed and not shuted.

Kindly elaborate and thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by London Bridge
    I saw on CNN TV sports news segment that the title of the news reads as Sport. Why sport & not sports because there were many sports activities being broadcasted.
    That's something you'll have to ask CNN.

I was told by a friend that an account simply means a customer. Account can also refer to as eg. an account of events taking place. Accounts on the other hand means more than one customer. But why call a department as accounts eg.Accounts Department.
    Possibly, they deal with more than one account/customer?

I also understand "close" can mean eg. stand close to someone or I'm very close with Miss Sally. So how can "closed" or "shut" apart from eg. the shop is closed and not shuted.
    "shuted" is not an English word. The verb "to shut" is as follows: present "shut", past "shut", participle "shut". It's an irregular verb.

Kindly elaborate and thanks.[/quote]

• Post Thanks / Like

dear casiopea
    i really apreciate your work, you are so beneficial to me. thank you very much

• Post Thanks / Like

Dear Casiopea,
    Thank you very much. I have learned alot already.
    You are an asset to this forum.

Cheers/London Bridge

• Post Thanks / Like

You're most welcome.