Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
I have written my SOP and asked my English teacher for proofreading.But, even after that when I ask some natives to comment about it, they mentioned there are grammatical mistakes in it. It's about one and half page. please mention any mistake you find. I appreciate your kind attention.
My research interests lie in the field of computer networks and distributed systems; specifically P2P networks, network security, data privacy, and sensor networks are my favorite fields of research. My interest in computer networks was initiated from my high school period when I was working in a small ISP as a trainee. Later, my interest toward cryptology and networks security allowed me to acquire a practical knowledge of penetration testing and I was familiarized with different attack types in networks, websites, and wireless networks. Spending a great deal of time on performing penetration testing impressed me upon how vulnerable computer networks are: I realized that there is frequently a chance of penetration unless a preventing mechanism exists. As a result, I have spent the last two years investigating the literature of various subfields of network security especially security in P2P applications.
As the first attempt in the research world, I joined the Robotic laboratory of Computer Engineering Department, and along with four of my friends formed a Soccer 3D Simulation team. The main challenge we faced was to figure out a way for a biped robot named NAO to walk. We could use Genetic-Algorithm to find optimized values for NAO’s joints and we achieved a relatively slow speed about 3 cm/s; however, in a competitive soccer environment, it was not sufficient at all. In the next level, we achieved a much faster and stable walking with an approximate average speed of 58 cm/s which was much faster than most of formerly proposed algorithms. Moreover, using Particle Swarm Optimization algorithm allowed us to significantly reduce the learning time. We presented the results of our research as a paper which was accepted at Springer WSC16. During working in RoboCup community, I became aware of the lack of any mechanism for communication of different teams around the world; in addition, the difficulty of installing the simulation servers for many newcomers was a detracting factor. My familiarity with web application development led me to an idea of an online solution to answer all these issues and many other concerns. I presented my solution and its implementation in the International Robocup Competition 2011; consequently, our team achieved the first place in the Robocup Infrastructure League. Beside my research experiences in Robotic lab, I acquired an invaluable experience of leading a scientific team by leading my team for two years. I learned how to identify strengths and weaknesses of my teammates to utilize their talents and skills toward reaching goal. In addition, I experienced how to build confidence in them in case of a failure and how to galvanize them to keep working.
During Computer Networks course, I was familiarized with distributed architecture and P2P networks. The elegant design of P2P networks especially BitTorrent network persuaded me to begin my studies on P2P networks under supervision of Professor XXX. The open nature and the lack of any security mechanism in BitTorrent make it vulnerable against many attack types. I tried to design a mechanism to address security issues in this network; however, the distributed nature of BitTorrent and the possibility of collusion among attackers make this mechanism complex. Finally, I came to the idea of using different nodes interactions as a scale of their reputation. By modeling and analyzing my algorithm, I found that unlike previous studies, my algorithm can decide rationally about nodes reputation even in the presence of a high number of attackers. The evaluation results of my algorithm both in a simulator and a real testbed certified my analysis, and revealed that even in the presence of 50% malicious nodes the proposed algorithm can decide rationally. Eventually, I presented my algorithm as a journal paper sent to Springer journal of “P2P Networking and Applications”.
My research in the computer networks was not limited to the P2P networks and I continued my research in the Network Intrusion Detection Systems. I tried to design a correlation framework in response to a RFP from ITRC (Iran Telecommunication Research Center). The main challenge was to categorize and convert the great number of low level alerts and events from sensors to a high level Meta-Alert. After a comprehensive investigation of the literature, I designed a two level system consisting of a pre-processing, and a processing module. In the first module, I tried to collect different alerts in a unique format, and to convert similar alerts into a single representing alert. In the second module, the alerts were supposed to be analyzed to find the cause-and-effect relationship to offer a manageable perspective for the administrators. Several approaches can determine this relation; however, I designed a hybrid mechanism in which a Rule-Based mechanism was employed in order to discover the known attacks because of its high speed. In addition, a Statistical approach was applied as a complementary tool to Rule-Based mechanism to find the less recognized relations. Finally, I presented my proposed design to ITRC.
Inspired by the success in my research, I wish to further study network security, privacy and distributed systems at XXX University. My ultimate goal is to find a position, in academia when I aspire to take up my own challenges and build up my own group. I proposed to work with Professors XXX on security in distributed environments and data privacy. In fact, she encouraged me to apply to XXX University as a result of several emails we exchanged in the last two months. I am further interested in working with the Network Security Laboratory, Intrusion Detection Systems Laboratory and Distributed Network Analysis Research Group, including Professor XXX, Professor XXX, and Professor XXX to continue my researches in the network security, P2P networks and intrusion detection. I hope to have the opportunity to receive guidance from XXX faculties. I would like to express my appreciation for your time and consideration of my application.

shafiee01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please!
No one would help? :oops:

Status