Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hi everybody,
I was wondering if you have any idea what does the idiom "pile it on thick" means?:)

TheEditor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ditto -- I've heard "lay it on thick" countless times in the U.S., but not "pile it on thick."

In my experience, "lay it on thick" conveys both a sense of exaggerated drama and an element of deception -- or, put more bluntly, B.S.

For instance, a 17-year-old girl might tell her female friend: "When that cop pulled me over for speeding Saturday night, I sobbed and told him that my boyfriend had dumped me and I just wanted to get home to my mom. The cop let me go with just a warning."

FRIEND: "But you were on the way to Melinda's party. Wow, you sure laid it on thick!"

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An extension of 'Lay it on thick' is 'Lay it on with a trowel': http//wickesmedia.live.venda.com/content/ebiz/wickes/invt/200406/Stainless-Steel-Brick-Trowel_large.jpg

A trowel (/'trɑʊɘl/) is what a bricklayer uses to put mortar on bricks - quite liberally! So when you 'lay it on with a trowel' you lay it on very thick. (This is pretty informal; but so's 'laying it on thick'.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.