Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    vkhu is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Some tense question

    He said he hadn't cleaned the house
    -> He denied cleaning the house

    Isn't this suppose to be "he denied having clean the house"?

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some tense question

    Quote Originally Posted by vkhu View Post
    He said he hadn't cleaned the house
    -> He denied cleaning the house

    Isn't this supposed to be "he denied having cleaned the house"?
    Not necessarily. It depends upon the purpose of changing once sentence into another.

    Was it to you who I said, "It's impossible to tell if your answer is right without knowing the question?" If not, I'm saying it now.
    Without some sort of guidelines about why you want to change the sentence, there's no basis for saying that the second sentence "is supposed" to be anything.

  3. #3
    vkhu is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some tense question

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Not necessarily. It depends upon the purpose of changing once sentence into another.

    Was it to you who I said, "It's impossible to tell if your answer is right without knowing the question?" If not, I'm saying it now.
    Without some sort of guidelines about why you want to change the sentence, there's no basis for saying that the second sentence "is supposed" to be anything.
    Sorry about that. I was told to rewrite the sentence using the word cleaning. I can only think of denied cleaning but I don't get why it must be denied cleaning and not denied having cleaned.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some tense question

    Quote Originally Posted by vkhu View Post
    Sorry about that. I was told to rewrite the sentence using the word cleaning. I can only think of denied cleaning but I don't get why it must be denied cleaning and not denied having cleaned.
    So, you are saying that you think, "He denied cleaning the house" is ungrammatical? It isn't.

    It must be "denied cleaning" and not "denied having cleaned" because "denied having cleaned" is an illegitimate answer to the task you were given - since it doesn't contain "cleaning".

  5. #5
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some tense question

    He said that if there was any cleaning of the house done, it wasn't by him!

    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] a question about tense. am or was
    By victor su in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2010, 10:55
  2. [Grammar] a tense question
    By sane in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2009, 05:45
  3. tense question
    By todd2009 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2009, 07:50
  4. Tense Question
    By redgiant in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2008, 11:18
  5. question of tense
    By enydia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-May-2008, 04:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •