Recommended learning software to teach Spanish-speaking pre-k niece English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moltrain

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

My 5 year old niece just came to the US from Cuba and speaks no English. We are trying to get her into a Pre-K, but in the meantime, what computer games or programs do you recommend as a good learning tool for her to start to learn vocabulary? I'd like to get this for her for Christmas, but am unsure which programs/games are best.

Any help would be most appreciated - thank you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have nothing against computer game/programs, but my honorary grandson, a three-year-old Czech, appears to be learning English just by enjoying watching Thomas the Tank Engine and other short children's films, and talking at length about the stories afterwards. There are dozens (probably hundreds) on Youtube.com - free (and apparently legal). The only downside is that Thomas and his nauseating friends now nearly drive me insane.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

moltrain

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you all! I greatly appreciate your suggestions and will look into all of them. I am excited to get her some tools to start learning. She is very shy when speaking English words and I think movies and/or games will help her gain confidence in learning a new language. She does love Dora, I think I will look into that too. THANKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.