English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Japan
Hi,

I have to plan a lesson teaching participial adjectives (I think I've got this right). Below is an example of what I want to teach anyhow:

The sleeping baby...
The written letter...
The talking dog...

Basically a "V-ing N" or "PPV N" combination in a sentence. I'm taking the examples from a Japanese textbook so it doesn't give the grammar name in English. I think participial adjectives.

Anyway at the moment I'm thinking about explaining the usage, maybe do some fill in the blanks and then leading up to some kind of fun activity that would work well here. If anyone has any good ideas for activities please share. Also, I will be teaching to a class of 40 students (never ideal I know) and their English is quite basic - if anyone has any good ideas for explaining this in English, with examples and diagrams I could use on the board, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Bizt

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Before thinking of activities, I'd suggest looking at what you are teaching. Do you really want them to use 'the written letter?'. If you are landed with such examples because they are in the book, I'd suggest you choose more realistic examples for the teaching phase.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Also, remember the difference between a sleeping baby and writing paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.