Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: whoever....

  1. #1
    david11's Avatar
    david11 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default whoever....

    Hello teachers,

    I just want you to paraphrase the following sentence or put it in a correct way.


    Whoever comes first can occupy the front seat.
    (meaning: In college the front seat can be occupied by anyone who comes first).

    Can I say like this: One who comes first can occupy the front seat.



    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: whoever....

    Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    I just want you to paraphrase the following sentence or put it in a correct way.

    Whoever comes first can occupy the front seat......It is correct.

    Can I say like this: One who comes first can occupy the front seat......No
    I am not sure why you want to say this. Normally, first arrivals have their choice of seat anyway.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  3. #3
    riquecohen's Avatar
    riquecohen is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: whoever....

    5jj has answered your question. I would like to add that usually there's more than just one front seat. Are you not referring to the front row of seats?

  4. #4
    david11's Avatar
    david11 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: whoever....

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I am not sure why you want to say this. Normally, first arrivals have their choice of seat anyway.

    It is just an example. So, I didn't think that I should be technically correct.

    My question should mean that" First come first serve".

    If there is only one ticket available in the theater. Four people rang up and checking the availability of the tickets.

    What would the person on the other side of the phone(one who sells ticket...Is there any particular word for that?) should say?

    One who comes first can get the ticket.

    Why is this wrong?


    Whoever comes first can get the ticket.(Please tell me another way of telling this).

  5. #5
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: whoever....

    Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    It is just an example. So, I didn't think that I should be technically correct.

    My question should mean that" First come first serve".

    If there is only one ticket available in the theater. Four people rang up and checking the availability of the tickets.

    What would the person on the other side of the phone(one who sells ticket...Is there any particular word for that?) should say?

    One who comes first can get the ticket.

    Why is this wrong?


    Whoever comes first can get the ticket.(Please tell me another way of telling this).
    In that scenario, the ticket seller would say "Whichever one of you turns up [at the box office] first will get the ticket."

    They could say "The one who comes [here] first can have the ticket", but "The one ..." is the important part.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •