Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    title and proper nouns

    can you help me with my language homework? i have a sentence that i am stuck with. The sentence is My team doctor on our basketball team is dr. john. the question is circle each title and proper noun that should have a capital letter.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: title and proper nouns

    Quote Originally Posted by tyler
    can you help me with my language homework? i have a sentence that i am stuck with. The sentence is My team doctor on our basketball team is dr. john. the question is circle each title and proper noun that should have a capital letter.
    Capitalize a person's name and the official title of a person, but only when you use it with the person's name.

    Example: My team doctor on our basketball team is Dr. John.


    "Dr." is a title
    "John" is a proper name

    :D

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: title and proper nouns

    Please let your I's grow up. :wink:

    In addition to proper nouns, you should capitalize I when it is used as a pronoun and every word that starts a sentence. (Note: every title is a proper noun.)

    Note: it should be the team doctor.

    :)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: title and proper nouns

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Please let your I's grow up. :wink:

    In addition to proper nouns, you should capitalize I when it is used as a pronoun and every word that starts a sentence. (Note: every title is a proper noun.)

    Note: it should be the team doctor.

    :)
    Psst. Maybe the teacha wrote "My". :o

    I like the phrase 'let your 'i's grow up'. It's wonderful. :D

    Question off topic: Is little 'i' not standard e-speech, or emailese or whatever the Funky term is these days?

    :D

  5. #5
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: title and proper nouns

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Please let your I's grow up. :wink:

    In addition to proper nouns, you should capitalize I when it is used as a pronoun and every word that starts a sentence. (Note: every title is a proper noun.)

    Note: it should be the team doctor.

    :)
    Psst. Maybe the teacha wrote "My". :o

    I like the phrase 'let your 'i's grow up'. It's wonderful. :D

    Question off topic: Is little 'i' not standard e-speech, or emailese or whatever the Funky term is these days?

    :D
    Well, I didn't mention that the doctor is probably not on the team. :wink:

    Yes, the little 'i' is pretty standard in netspeak. But on the Dictionary.com Forum (where I "grew up" doing this) and the UE forums to a lesser extent that kind of writing is definitely discouraged. I could be wrong, but I think it is habit-forming, and habits have a way of asserting themselves. They will write in netspeak on the other forums and in chatrooms, but on this one and the dic.com forum they are encouraged to use standard English. I think it is important that we do that, because chatrooms make them lazy.

    :wink:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •