• Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Please help me to correct first email to Professor for PhD interest

Hi everyone,
    I am preparing now my first email to contact professor for PhD position interest.
    Please help me to make correction.
    .................................................. .................................................. ............
    Email:

Dear Professor XXX,

My name is XXX, I graduated with a Master of Science in Environmental Management, in April 2011 from the Ecology Center at the University of XX, XX. During my masterīs degree, I conducted my master’s thesis in the field of forest management. In this study, I evaluated the forest certification systems used in Thailand by comparing them to the standards of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and I also investigated the potential improvements to these systems.

I am writing you in response of my interest for doing PhD study in the field of Vegetation Ecology and Biodiversity at the Section Biodiversity, Evolution and Ecology of Plants, University of XX.

My research abilities have been developed over my academic years during my bachelorīs degree in agricultural biotechnology and masterīs degree in environmental management, enabled me to gain academic and experimental experience, especially in the field of ecological research, sustainable agriculture and natural resource management.

Regarding my interest in vegetation and restoration ecology, conservation and global change biology, I have learned from your website that you are heading a research project on topic “XXX” which involves “The Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Use (SASSCAL)”, “The Restoration Experiments in South Africa”, and “The Future Okavango (TFO)” as well, which is closely related to my own field and interest and I would be very happy if I could join your team.

I have enclosed my letter of interest and curriculum vitae and if you have any questions, I can be reached by phone at XXX or email at XXX. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss my qualifications and the PhD position in more detail. Please let me know if you need additional documents.

Yours sincerely,

XXX (Mr.)

Last edited by thaistudent; 04-Dec-2011 at 23:45.

Gretchenplay is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help me to correct first email to Professor for PhD interest

Hello Thaistudent!
    I have made a few adjustments to your email.
    Good luck!

Email:

Dear Professor XXX,

I am writing you in response ofto express my interest forin doing my PhD study in the field of Vegetation Ecology, and Biodiversity (at the in?) Section Biodiversity, and Evolution and Ecology of Plants at the University of XX.

My name is XXX, I graduated with a Master of Science in Environmental Management in April 2011 from the Ecology Center at the University of XX, XX. During my masterīs degree, I conducted my master’s thesis in the field of forest management. In this study I evaluated the forest certification systems used in Thailand by comparing them to the standards of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).and I also investigated (the?) potential improvements to these systems.

My research abilities have been developed overduring my academic yearsstudies.during Through my bachelorīs degree in agricultural biotechnology, and masterīs degree in environmental management, enabled me toI have gained academic and experimental experience, especially in the fields of ecological research, sustainable agriculture and natural resource management.

Regarding myI have a great interest in vegetation and restoration ecology, conservation and global change biology, and have learned from your website that you are heading a research project topic “XXX” which involvesinvolving “The Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Use (SASSCAL)”, “The Restoration Experiments in South Africa”, and “The Future Okavango (TFO)” as well, which is closely related to my own field andof interest, and I would be very happy if I could join your team.

I have enclosed my letter of interest and curriculum vitae. and If you have any questions, I can be reached by phone at XXX or email at
    XXX. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss my qualifications and the PhD position in more detail. Please let me know if you need any additional documents.

Yours sincerely,

XXX (Mr.)

thaistudent is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Gretchenplay!!!

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

You should start with:

I am pleased to apply for the position of _____ in the department of ______ at the University of ______. My research interests are ________ and ________.

Your letter should cover a page or two and should include what you've actually done in your research in greater detail.