Topic:
News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspaper. What factors do you think influence these decisions? Do we become used to bad news? Would it be better if more good news was reported?

Due to advance in technology, news reporting has become widespread across the globe. It is true that news plays a vital role in our daily life since people need to update themselves to what is happening in this ever-changing world. Therefore, the content of the news is extremely essential for the audiences. Personally, I strongly believe that there are two significant factors that news editors take into consideration in deciding what to be published.

To begin with, I firmly agree that providing factual information is the core obligation of news reporters. As a result, in terms of profession, news editors should choose to publish only about the truth and report them to the watchers and readers. Actually, it is absolutely important for them to do so since some news are very beneficial for the audiences. For instance, after reading or watching about the robbery report, they know how it was happening and learn how to protect themselves from the same sort of crimes or situations. Besides reporting facts, audiences’ interest is another remarkable focal-point that news editors must carefully consider about. It is quite obvious that in order to generate profit, they must have supports and attentions from the viewers. Surprisingly, nowadays people then to pay too much attention on privacy of famous people such as celebrities and public figures. More importantly, gossiping and revealing scandal have become a part of entertainment. Undoubtedly, there is a lot of bad news reporting about those people’s private lives which somehow has nothing to do with the audiences.

On the other hand, due to widespread of bad news on newspaper and television, people seem to become familiar with such trend. Moreover, some people believe that “no news is good news.” There is no surprise to hear about unfortunate things on the news. Although people are getting sick of bad news, I firmly believe that it is not a good idea to publish only or more good news though. In my point of view, audiences have right to learn about both good and bad news. Therefore, news editors should make balance between the good and the bad news in the content of their broadcasting and newspaper.