Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Sans everything

  1. #1
    gisellee is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Arrow Sans everything

    What does the quotation "Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" from As You Like It (Shakwspeare) mean?

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Sans everything

    Quote Originally Posted by gisellee View Post
    What does the quotation "Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" from As You Like It (Shakwspeare) mean?
    "Sans" is the French word for "without". I don't know why Shakespeare decided to use it, but if you enter the phrase "Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" into your favourite search engine, you'll receive many explanations of this phrase.

    However, knowing the meaning of "sans", you can probably work out the overall meaning yourself.

  3. #3
    gisellee is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: Sans everything

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Sans" is the French word for "without". I don't know why Shakespeare decided to use it, but if you enter the phrase "Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" into your favourite search engine, you'll receive many explanations of this phrase.

    However, knowing the meaning of "sans", you can probably work out the overall meaning yourself.

    Even if I know that the sentence means 'without teeth, without eyes,without taste, and without everything' , I can't get the meaning of it.
    I wanna know what Shakespeare wants to say.

  4. #4
    waflob is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Sans everything

    Quote Originally Posted by gisellee View Post
    Even if I know that the sentence means 'without teeth, without eyes,without taste, and without everything' , I can't get the meaning of it.
    I wanna know what Shakespeare wants to say.
    I'm getting weird flashbacks to that nightmare we called "English Literature" at school - obviously didn't suppress that enough ...

    I'm not 100% sure, but it either refers to old-age, or possibly death. Something about the various stages we go through in life and that's the last one.

Similar Threads

  1. Port a Sans
    By IQU3838 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2011, 14:22
  2. 'Sans' used in English
    By Agnes in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2007, 05:52
  3. Past Perfect sans 2nd Action?
    By joenuts in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2006, 12:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk