Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please what is the meaning of stereotype in a simple way? can you give me examples? can you give me synonyms?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
yes, but I didn't understand.
A fixed general image that is considered to represent a particular type of person or thing.
It's hard to understand. Can anybody help?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Stereotypes are a depiction of a group of people, often based on some truths, but exaggerated. They are usually considered offensive because not every member of any group is the same and relying on stereotypes instead of judging people as individuals can be damaging to all involved.

Common ones include that French people are rude and eat frogs. Britons have poor teeth. Americans are obese and disinterested in other nations. Arabs only enjoy blowing things up. Italians are all oily and eat spaghetti.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please what is the meaning of stereotype in a simple way? can you give me examples? can you give me synonyms?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Your question is a hot potato, as we say in the United States. (Well. at least some of us older people do.) Hot potato = a super controversial subject that people do not want to discuss.

(2) The word stereotype is used in a negative sense, as one of the posters explained

in his excellent post. If you come to the United States, never repeat in public any of

those stereotypes that were mentioned in his post. If you do, you will hurt some

people's feelings. There are some stereotypes that are so powerful that you will

lose your job if you say them out loud; and if you say them to certain people, those

people may physically attack you!

(3) Of course, a few people feel that a stereotype is nothing more than a

generalization. If 75% of Group X eats only vanilla ice cream, can we say that

most Group Xers eat only vanilla ice cream? If you do, many people will accuse you

of stereotyping Group X!

(4) Thus you should do what most people do: keep your opinions to yourself. If you

think that a certain group does. indeed, have a large percentage of members who

act in a similar way (especially in a bad way), do not say anything.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks TheParser. I understood it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.