• Native Language:
      • Galician
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Antilles
    Post Thanks / Like

Default grow day by day

Could anyone tell me how these two sentences read, especially with regard to the underlined phrases?

1. From the early years of the marriage, he verbally insulted me whenever he came home drunk, and the frequency and the degree of his violent behaviors grew day by day.

Is "From early in the marriage" fine as an alternative? And Would "increased" be better than "grew"?
    Does "day by day" make sense in the context? Any other alternative suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. It was the marriage my parents initially opposed so I didn’t have the heart to tell them how nightmarish the marriage had become and had to pretend happiness.

I was thinking it might sound better if I could find some kind of noun that conveys the meaning of a "wrecked marriage" which I have failed to find so far. As a possible alternative, I have "what a train wreck the marriage had become" as a reserve but I don't know how that might sound once I replace it.

"and had to pretend happiness" - does the phrase sound alright?

Thanks
    Last edited by rainous; 12-Dec-2011 at 07:24.

billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: grow day by day

Quote Originally Posted by rainous View Post
    Could anyone tell me how these two sentences read, especially with regard to the underlined phrases?

1. From the early years of the marriage, he verbally insulted me whenever he came home drunk, and the frequency and the degree of his violent behaviors grew day by day.

Is "From early in the marriage" fine as an alternative? Yes and I like it better. And Would "increased" be better than "grew"? Either one is OK.
    Does "day by day" make sense in the context? Yes. Any other alternative suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. It was the marriage my parents initially opposed, so I didnít have the heart (OR "courage" might be better) to tell them how nightmarish the marriage had become and had having to pretend happiness.

I was thinking it might sound better if I could find some kind of noun that conveys the meaning of a "wrecked marriage" which I have failed to find so far. As a possible alternative, I have "what a train wreck the marriage had become" as a reserve but I don't know how that might sound once I replace it. I prefer "nightmarish".

"and had to pretend happiness" - does the phrase sound alright? See above.

Thanks
    Nice work.