[Grammar] Appositive or Reduced Relative Clause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcolts

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
Ex1: It's all about how you think, how you approach.
Ex2: It's all about how to think, how to approach.

Question 1: Are both sentences grammatically correct? Are they examples of appositives or are they reduced relative clauses?

Question 2: IF they are appositives:

Websites on internet say that appositives include a noun or a noun phrase.

The clauses in red are dependant clauses (practically not a phrase). They are okay because they contain a pronoun?
The phrases in blue do not contain a noun or even a pronoun.

Is there a website that indicates that appositives can also contain clauses and phrases that do not contain a noun?

Preceptor

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Both sentences are grammatically correct. However, the first sentence is correct only if the writer is directly addressing someone.

2. Both would be considered relative clauses used as the object of the preposition 'about.'

vcolts

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
1. Both sentences are grammatically correct. However, the first sentence is correct only if the writer is directly addressing someone.

2. Both would be considered relative clauses used as the object of the preposition 'about.'

Q1. What you mean by "the object of the preposition about?"

Q2. Isn't the construction the following?:
It's all about how you think, (which is) how you view.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If 'you' is thought of as the informal alternative to 'one', then nobody is being addressed.

2. Both would be considered relative clauses used as the object of the preposition 'about.'I cannot see how they can be considered relative clauses; semantically they resemble wh-questions. I would label them (if I had to) as prepositional complements.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is there a website that indicates that appositives can also contain clauses and phrases that do not contain a noun?
"Apposition is a grammatical construction in which two elements, normally noun phrases, are placed side by side" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apposition

This definition, since it describes apposition as normally containing noun phrases, does tend to indicate that the author believes that some examples of apposition do not.

I'm not sure whether that advances the argument or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.