Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, this is my first post and I rarely use internet forums as I'm not fond of IT - so my apologies in advance.

Please give your thoughts on the following sentence which appears on a friend's website which he insists is correct ( probably rightly so!).

"Exquisitely tasting and full of all the natural fluids, vitamins, nutrients, sugars, minerals and salts demanded and needed by everyone of all age groups."

To me, it just doesn't seem to work. I feel there is something amiss with the grammar. Especially the beginning of the sentence. Anybody like to shed some light or offer an opinion.
Thank you for reading this!
Anni
(Certified Dunce!)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:hi:

First, it's not a sentence. Apart from that, it's not seriously ungrammatical - though the choice of adverb rather than adjective for the first word is rather strange. It tastes good rather than well, so one might expect it to taste exquisite rather than exquisitely. (In other contexts, the verb 'taste' does collocate with an adverb - e.g. 'it tastes strongly of burnt acorns' - but not when the nature of the taste is unspecified.)

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're right- there's no main verb, which is the basic building block of a sentence, and the subject is missing. So it needs changing if it is to be a sentence.

xxx tastes exquisite and is full of all the natural fluids, vitamins, nutrients, sugars, minerals and salts demanded and needed by everyone of all age groups.

That is now a grammatically complete sentence. It might be worth changing everyone to people or just saying everyone as there's no need to say all age groups after everyone. I am not sure whether everyone demands all of these things- plenty prefer soft drinks and alcohol, neither of which supply these, so how about this:

xxx tastes exquisite and is full of all the natural fluids, vitamins, nutrients, sugars, minerals and salts needed by people of all age groups.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I assumed that the web page had pictures of different products, with a phrase describing each one - in other words, the layout implies the grammar!

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be the case. I was simply looking at how to turn it into a complete sentence. Even as a caption, though, I think a couple of changes could be made to tidy it up. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.