Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
hi, I am from China and i am leaning and teaching New concept English. There is a sentence in the piece, which i think is not correct. it is: Jasper White is one of those rare peolpe who believes in ancient myths. i think it should be believe not believes according to the grammar I learnt.

Preceptor

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the antecedent of 'who' is 'people,' a plural noun, then it would take a plural verb, in this case, 'believe.' If the antecedent of 'who' is 'Jasper White,' a singular noun, then it would take a singular verb, in this case, 'believes.' Since 'who' can be both singular and plural with no change in form, either verb can be correct.

The only clue to favor one interpretation over the other is the absence of a comma after 'people.' Strictly speaking, a comma in that location would make the antecedent 'Jasper White.' However, the absence of a comma in that location does not necessarily indicate that the antecedent must be 'people.'

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jasper White is one of those rare peolpe who believes in ancient myths. i think it should be believe not believes according to the grammar I learnt.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I believe that you are 100% correct.

Tom: Jasper is one of those people.

Mona: What people?

Tom: Those people who believe in myths.

Mona: Oh! Is he one (of those people)?

Tom: He certainly is.

(2) Now compare that with this dialogue:

Tom: Do all of those people believe in myths?

Mona: Not really. Only Jasper does.

Tom: Really?

Mona: That's right. Jasper is the only one (of those people) who believes in myths.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Other questions in this thread were about different topics. I have moved them to a new thread: Many people/everyone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.