Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

I wrote a comment on another story and mentioned the sad fact that we are a waring nation/culture. Not unlike the Germany of the Last century or Great Britian during their empire years. Seeing mental images of combat U.S.Marines cuting the throats of toddlers,young kids,pre teens and older.Murdering with knives ladies and handiecappe old men in wheel chairs! This is something that our military has been doing since I can remember which is Viet Nam era. We think of the nazies and german soilders of committing this actions especially on the western front in Poland and Soviet Union! Not our neighbors kids. Our soilders have images of a hallmark card scene,a young girl in school than all of a sudden her mom or dad appears in combat boots and a big U.S.of A smile! Child running towards said parents open arms,whats more touching! Than the obscene reality of combat knives sliding across the throat of innocent children in the Middle East! This is not the image we want during Chritmas,war crimes never to be punished.Aren't we civilized? wern't the german soilders civilized! If this comment is disturbing than we might have a chance,but to blame only our leaders will not make these acts less horrific! I know one thing for sure you won't see images of naked murder by our troops on any Hall Mark Christmas cards. If you did prehaps we would murder less as a nation! Oh ya one more thing when the Democartic bombing "rolling thunder"the republicans called it carpet bombing..

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/w...nd-in-iraq-junkyard.html?pagewanted=3&_r=2&hp

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Dear NewHopeR,

I read the article by Michael Schmidt, and then found the comment about it written by the person in Lowell, MA. I think it's important that you understand that the manner in which the writer used the Hallmark Card expression was pejorative, and reflects a certain perception many Americans have of the company and the products they sell. Many find the cards and the sentiments expressed in them insipid and shallow.

John

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I couldn't get the link to open, but if that if this is a comment of a person who wrote a comment following an article, I wish I could say it was atypical of the way Americans write... but it's not.

I cringe every time I read the comments that follow an article and see the borderline-illiteracy. I usually associate this level of ungrammatical rambling with a Yahoo news article; I'm sorry to see the New York TImes readership is just as bad at being able to express a coherent thought. Even something as distasteful as this one could have been written grammatically.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
British newspapers have the same sort of comments- an intelligent article will often be followed by badly written gibberish in the comments.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And sometimes I don't know which is worse: the poor quality of the writing, or the ignorance that is being expressed.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Definitely the ignorance.
I could take poor writing as long as it wasn't from an imbecile.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, but it's the way they go together in comments that gives it a unique quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.