Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I came across a sentence -- It is fatally easy, as one grows older, to slip into the habit of grumbling that nothing is what it was and lamenting the inferiority of what is.
I wonder what is omitted in this expression. Should there be "it", that is, what it is, or should I interprete it as what is what it was?
Thank you

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I came across a sentence -- It is fatally easy, as one grows older, to slip into the habit of grumbling that nothing is what it was and lamenting the inferiority of what is.
I wonder what is omitted in this expression. Should there be "it", that is, what it is, or should I interprete it as what is what it was?
Thank you

"what is" in this context = what exists. "It" is not necessary in this reference.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What was and what is are two different things = The way things were and the way things are now are very different.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank billmcd and emsr2d2 for the explanation. Now I got the meaning of the sentence, but I think maybe grammatically, "what is" means "something that is" , it seems incompete. Usually I find expressions in this pattern:"what is here", "what it is". Can I say this sentence falls into one of these patterns but with certain words omitted, or "what is" can be used independently meaning "what exists now"?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think maybe grammatically, "what is" means "something that is"

NOT A TEACHER

(1) While we wait for the teachers' answers, may I congratulate you on your sense of

"what."

(2) According to my books, "what" is, as you suggested, sometimes a relative pronoun that means something like that which.

(i) I do not like what you said. = I do not like that which you said.

(ii) What you said is nonsense. = That which you said is nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.