Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello,

My question is about the present continuous and the simple future:

She is leaving to London next month. (Not will leave)
She will leave to London next month.

The first sentence is the right one, but both of them express arrangement.
Well, would you please tell me the difference between them.

Thank you

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

My question is about the present continuous and the simple future:

She will leave to London next month.

Well, would you please tell me the difference between them.

Thank you
They are both incorrect. Do you mean "she is leaving for (to go to) London"?

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
They are both incorrect. Do you mean "she is leaving for (to go to) London"?

Really they are incorrect! I type exactly the sentence as in the slice.
Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
She is leaving for London next month.
She will leave for London next month.
Well, would you please tell me the difference between them..
What makes you so sure that the second expresses arrangement? It could be suggesting certainty or willingness.

Referring to a form with 'will + bare infinitive' as the 'simple future' suggests that it is a tense; it is not. It is simply one of several Ways of Expressing the Future in English .

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
What do you mean by 'slice'?
Thank you for the correction.
The slice which is in Powerpoint '' diapositive''

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco

I just want to know why the use of ''will'' in that context is incorrect since they both can express arrangement.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I just want to know why the use of ''will'' in that context is incorrect since they both can express arrangement.
The use of 'will' is not incorrect - unless the speaker is wishing to make it clear that the leaving is the result of an arrangement. If the idea of the arrangement is uppermost in the speaker's mind, then they are more likely to say:

She is leaving
She is going to leave
She is to leave
She leaves
She has arranged to leave
She plans to leave

etc.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Really they are incorrect! I type exactly the sentence as in the slice.
Thank you.

As you later mentioned a Powerpoint presentation, I think you mean a "slide", not a "slice".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As you later mentioned a Powerpoint presentation, I think you mean a "slide", not a "slice".
I think you're right. Even so, the concept that a sentence must be right because it's on a Powerpoint slide is rather frightening. I hope not too many people believe it.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
The use of 'will' is not incorrect - unless the speaker is wishing to make it clear that the leaving is the result of an arrangement. If the idea of the arrangement is uppermost in the speaker's mind, then they are more likely to say:

Ok, thank you so much for the explanation.

Yes, and sorry for the misspelling.

I think you're right. Even so, the concept that a sentence must be right because it's on a Powerpoint slide is rather frightening. I hope not too many people believe it.
yeah surely, but it was given by a teacher.

Thanks to all of you.

Regards,

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ok, thank you so much for the explanation.

Yes, and sorry for the misspelling.

yeah surely, but it was given by a teacher.

Thanks to all of you.

Regards,
The same applies unfortunately.
The concept that a sentence must be right because a teacher has written it is rather frightening. I hope not too many people believe it. (I'll concede that it should be relatively safe for any exam set by that teacher.)
But at some stage in life, you need to give up teachers and find out for yourself.

PS: That's not directed at you personally, symaa.

Last edited:

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
The same applies unfortunately.
The concept that a sentence must be right because a teacher has written it is rather frightening. I hope not too many people believe it. (I'll concede that it should be relatively safe for any exam set by that teacher.)
But at some stage in life, you need to give up teachers and find out for yourself.
Yes, but I think that every teacher has to be very cautious and give only the information that s/he is quite sure about, so that s/he may not confuse student.
As English is not my native language nor the second one, I always want to know from native speakers.

Thank you for the advice, and really I highly appreciate it.I do believe that I have to improve myself and do my best.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, but I think that every teacher has to be very cautious and give only the information that s/he is quite sure about, so that s/he may not confuse student.
As English is not my native language nor the second one, I always want to know from native speakers.

Thank you for the advice, I highly appreciate it.
Is your teacher a native speaker?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, he isn't, I hope to be taught by a native speaker:roll:.
And I guess you know that about 50% of English teachers are below average in competence.
And I don't know whether you've been here long enough to have noticed the average use of proper punctuation and orthography in non-native English teachers from North Africa - to take only one example of what I'd call "usually incompetent in this area".

"I think that every teacher has to be very cautious and give only the information that s/he is quite sure about."
And do you think that happens? It is not in the nature of most teachers to admit they don't know something. I'm not talking specifically about English teachers now, but if a person sets themself up as a teacher, and you ask a question related to their area of specialty, they will try to give an answer to the limits of their perceived credibility. By this, I mean that if what they say is unlikely to be readily falsified, they will offer an opinion as fact if they can, and a guess as an opinion.
(An advantage of this forum is that opinions offered as fact and guesses offered as opinion are usually falsifiable and, hence, falsified. I don't know if that occurs among English teachers in North Africa.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No, he isn't, I hope to be taught by a native speaker:roll:.
Don't let's be negative about teachers who are not native speakers. Some of them have a better understanding of the workings of English and how to explain them than some native-speaking teachers. And some of the leading writers on English grammar in the 20th century were not native speakers - Jespersen, Kruisinga, Poutsma, Schibsbye, Zandvoort, and others.

When I was hiring teachers, I would always hope to find competent native speakers, but I would always choose a competent non-native speaker over a second-rate native speaker.

Sorry, that's a bit off-topic, but we sometimes forget that most of the teaching of EFL/ESOL in the world is done by non-native speakers, and many of them do a fine job.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Don't let's be negative about teachers who are not native speakers.
Yes, it was a bit naughty of me to do that. But just this once, knowing that I could back up my point about North African teachers and punctuation simply from our records here, I thought I'd risk the observation.
Of course, it's feasable that the better non-native English teachers do not post here, so we are getting a biassed sample.

[ Back to your normal program ]

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
And I guess you know that about 50% of English teachers are below average in competence.
And I don't know whether you've been here long enough to have noticed the average use of proper punctuation and orthography in non-native English teachers from North Africa - to take only one example of what I'd call "usually incompetent in this area".
Actually, I didn't see any non-native English teachers from North Africa participating in this forum, perhaps they're so few.

"I think that every teacher has to be very cautious and give only the information that s/he is quite sure about."
And do you think that happens? It is not in the nature of most teachers to admit they don't know something. I'm not talking specifically about English teachers now, but if a person sets themself up as a teacher, and you ask a question related to their area of specialty, they will try to give an answer to the limits of their perceived credibility.Yes, I totally agree with you, especially when dealing with a subject that isn't his/her speciality

Don't let's be negative about teachers who are not native speakers. Some of them have a better understanding of the workings of English and how to explain them than some native-speaking teachers. And some of the leading writers on English grammar in the 20th century were not native speakers - Jespersen, Kruisinga, Poutsma, Schibsbye, Zandvoort, and others.

When I was hiring teachers, I would always hope to find competent native speakers, but I would always choose a competent non-native speaker over a second-rate native speaker.

Sorry, that's a bit off-topic, but we sometimes forget that most of the teaching of EFL/ESOL in the world is done by non-native speakers, and many of them do a fine job.

Indeed, I don't have any negative attitude towards non-native English teacher, but what I meant is that it’s better to be thought by a native speaker since English is her/his mother language, you will learn the right pronunciation...., acheiving many things at once.

Thank you so much.

All the best for you,

Status
Not open for further replies.