Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
A: Where are you staying at the moment in Rome?
B: Well, I had been staying/stayed in a B&B so far, but in Jenuary I'm going to change and I'd like to hire a private room somewhere else, because I don't like to stay for long in a B&B.

I have two questions for these sentences?

1) Does sentence B make sense? Do you understand the meaning of this sentence or would you say it in a different way?

2) Which tense do you think is more correct between the two in bold to express that for the two weeks before the question A is asked I stayed in a B&B (so, I'd like to underline the duration of this past action) and then I'd like to change the accomodation?
Do the past perfect continuous and the simple past express different meanings in this sentence?

Thanks so much for your help.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
1) Does sentence B make sense? Do you understand the meaning of this sentence or would you say it in a different way?
I understand, but I would say:
I have been staying in a B&B for the last ten days, but in January I'm going to change to a private room. I don't like staying in B&B's for too long.

2) Which tense do you think is more correct. The one I have used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A: Where are you staying at the moment in Rome?
B: Well, I had been staying/stayed in a B&B so far, but in Jenuary I'm going to change and I'd like to hire a private room somewhere else, because I don't like to stay for long in a B&B.

I have two questions for these sentences?

I understand the meaning although I would have worded it differently: "Well, up until now I've been staying in a B&B, but I'm hoping to rent a private room somewhere in January, because I don't like to stay too long in a B&B."

2) Which tense do you think is more correct between the two in bold to express that for the two weeks before the question A is asked I stayed in a B&B (so, I'd like to underline the duration of this past action) and then I'd like to change the accomodation?
Neither. I would say "I have been staying in a B&B up until now..." The use of "so far" isn't really appropriate when talking about timescales of this type. For example, if someone asked you where you had been staying for the last month or so, you would be able to say something like "So far, I've stayed in a hostel, a hotel and a B&B but I'm hoping to rent a room in a private house soon".

Do the past perfect continuous and the simple past express different meanings in this sentence?
As above, I would use neither of them.

Thanks so much for your help.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.