Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

Here the speaker is stealing a computer from a company and talking about that. But I didn't understand ramp it up again and get back to script mean?
Thanks.

“Uhh . . . OK . . .” she says. “So, the deal is that we have this prototype of a super computer thingee!” She tries to ramp it up again so that we can get back on script, so to speak

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have you got more context- normally ramp up means increase a lot, but here it sounds as if she's starting it up so they can get back on track, back to their plan. It could also be lifting it off the ground. It's unclear to me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
On second thoughts, it could also mean that they have behind schedule and need to speed things up.

shinem

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It’s a little awkward.
“Uhh . . . OK . . .” she says. “So, the deal is that we have this prototype of a super computer thingee!” She tries to ramp it up again so that we can get back on script, so to speak.
“You don’t even know what you’re stealing?” I ask.
“Yeah, I do!” she says, annoyed. “It’s that thingee.” She points to a box in Mark's hand. He does not look happy.

The girl and Mark are stealing a computer's prototype and the speaker is trying to stop them. But I can't understand this part: She tries to ramp it up again so that we can get back on script, so to speak.

iKitty

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
NOT A TEACHER

I can't really explain this, although it might be clearer if you posted some of the text leading up to this exchange. Ramp up means to increase quickly (the image is that of going up a ramp, i.e. rapidly increasing in height), but I'm not certain of it in this context. My best guess, without having the text showing the lead-up to the conversation, is that she is trying to quicken the action or urge on her companion.

Get back to the script usually means to get back to the plan, or to do what was originally planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.