Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Tria is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: British English or American accent?

well..... you look like that you are watching TV so much ....... the accent does not matter we can not compare accents because we are not allowed to say this is good and that is not in addition this is an optional matter, according to me I like UK accent it is my favorite,maybe someone else dont like it.... the main matter is the official English.

by the way I watch TV so much to....

kata1207 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: British English or American accent?

Sorry my mother tongue is not English so maybe I shouldn't be giving you this advice at all. I reckon you can't really control your accent. However if you strongly insist that I must choose one, I would choose British accent because of Commonwealth and pronunciation is generally clearer

Post Thanks / Like

I think British accents are easier to understand. In the podcast You say tomayto (podcastsinenglish.com) the American woman being interviewed said that American people often mumble - it's true, I don't understand her so well! Some American films I watch are really tricky at the start until I get into them.

Post Thanks / Like

saying that an accent is better than another is totally wrong it's only a misconception about language and you should speak the accent that you feel that it's more easy for you regardless what you teachers say. This is about you and your attitude.

nhdinh is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning !
    i come from Viet Nam. i like this website so i join here. i want everybody help me to learn english.
    thanks a lot

mirrorXmask is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

British accents are very over-rated.They're aren't great at all. I wont say they're ugly because they're not, but I don't like them. I prfer some types of American accents. The personally love Southern accents, like Kelly Clarkson's when she was on AMerican IDol. Very pretty.Other Southern accents are nice too. If I'm not mistaken there are quite a few different ones than the most popular one.

And no I'm not jelous. WHy would I be? Nothing to be jelous about. Maybe you're jelous for some reason...I could call you jelous just as much as you could call me. You also sound a bit closeminded. SOme people from European English SPeking countries get off thinking they speak "right" and anyone else speaks "wrong". That's very close minded and ignorant so I wouldn't go around with a prideful attitufe like that. The beuty of language is the different dialects and accents.

And yes I speak English the way it's supposed to be spoken,...for communincation to other English speakers...

I honestly don't like Birtish English accents or any British accent at all.

mirrorXmask is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

And if you for some odd reason don't like the fact that American speak English , I'll tell you right now that it's the fault of the British only.

Post Thanks / Like

mirrorXmask

And if you for some odd reason don't like the fact that American speak English , I'll tell you right now that it's the fault of the British only.
    Let me try to grasp the logic of this sentiment: so if mirrorXmask commits acts of vandalism, don't look to him as in any way culpable- blame his progenitor!
    Last edited by David L.; 01-Nov-2008 at 22:40.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mirrorXmask View Post

And yes I speak English the way it's supposed to be spoken,...for communication to other English speakers...
    How remarkable. I had no idea there was one way it is supposed to be spoken. What way is that?

supada is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awatef View Post
    saying that an accent is better than another is totally wrong it's only a misconception about language and you should speak the accent that you feel that it's more easy for you regardless what you teachers say. This is about you and your attitude.
    I totally agree with you. I'm not English speaker but mirrorXmask should have read your post. : )

Personally I prefer American accent because I get used to it from movies I've watched so I quite understand it. However I found British accent mysterious and admirable in some way but I barely understand what they speak.

My friend (Thai) loves British accent so much that she could imitate British accent after she's been living there only one year and a half year. How possible and awesome!
    Last edited by supada; 04-Nov-2008 at 10:05.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast