Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
hi All,

Please modify the following joke ( what word I can use than joke here) which just happened while talking to my daughter

---------------

My little daughter who is three year old is expert making mess out of pretty much everything. One day she took all of vegetable from the refrigerator and threw out of the window on the road. For my luck no one was there on the road to get these vegetables on their heads. As soon as I discovered this I couldn’t handle my patience and ask her to become a hen. (A yoga pose which I use sometimes as a punishment). I was sad afterwards as she was in hen pose for as long as I wanted. Next day, I took her in my lap and asked very politely that if she would be repeating this again. I couldn’t stop laughing after hearing her answer. She replied in a very simple way, “yes Mama If I want to become a hen again, I will repeat it.”……

------------------------------------

Thanks in advance

Gretchenplay

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
South Korea
Hello gauri_agr!
Very cute story. You could perhaps use the word anecdote (or even story) instead of joke.

My little daughter, who is three years old, is an expert at making a mess out of pretty much [STRIKE]everything[/STRIKE] anything. One day she took all of vegetables from the refrigerator and threw them out of the window onto the road. [STRIKE]For my[/STRIKE] Luckily no one was out there [STRIKE]on the road[/STRIKE] to get hit in the head with these vegetables [STRIKE]on their heads[/STRIKE]. As soon as I discovered [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] what she had done, I [STRIKE]couldn’t handle[/STRIKE] lost my patience and asked her to become a hen (a yoga pose which I sometimes use as [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] punishment). I [STRIKE]was sad[/STRIKE] felt badly afterwards as she was in the hen pose for [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] a long [STRIKE]as I wanted[/STRIKE] time. Next day, I [STRIKE]took[/STRIKE] sat her in my lap and asked very politely [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] if she would be repeating this again. I couldn’t stop laughing after hearing her answer. She replied in a very simple way “yes Mama If I want to become a hen again, I will repeat it.”……

gauri_agr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
thanks Gretchenplay. I have a doubt below

I sat her in my lap....I don't understand this as this is a passive voice tense. It should be "I made her sit in my lap.."..please explain..

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
thanks Gretchenplay. I have a doubt below

I sat her in my lap....I don't understand this as this is a passive voice tense. It should be "I made her sit in my lap.."..please explain..
It's active voice.

A young child can sit, stand or lie somewhere.
We can sit, stand or lay the child somewhere.

Sit/sat/sat and stand/stood/stood can be used both transitively and intransitively. Lie/lay/lain is used intransitively; lay/laid/laid is used transitively.

Last edited:

gauri_agr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.