• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: who

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    All three are fine. The first is the least formal, the third the most. You are unlikely to hear the third very much in normal conversation.
    @5jj, thank you. I could be wrong since I don't know about teachers here today, but when I was in school the teachers would insist on using 'whom' in written exams. My
    impression was 'who' is used in AmE which we rarely read/heard at that time. Perhaps it can be considered archaic in BrE, but we seem to have several of those (archaic) in use here.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

There are still speakers of BrE who insist that 'whom' is the only correct form in writing. I accept this for formal writing - indeed, I use it myself in formal writng - but it seems a little stilted in less formal wriitng and in all but the most formal speech, in my opinion.

I don't know enough about Indian English to comment on what is considered correct in that variety.

Olympian is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    There are still speakers of BrE who insist that 'whom' is the only correct form in writing. I accept this for formal writing - indeed, I use it myself in formal writng - but it seems a little stilted in less formal wriitng and in all but the most formal speech, in my opinion.

I don't know enough about Indian English to comment on what is considered correct in that variety.
    @5jj, we use words/phrases like 'we will take (your) leave now'. Young people don't use it anymore I think. But when I went to America many years ago, they actually laughed when they heard this phrase. That is an example of archaic phrases in use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2